Thread: Help ZD30DDTI getting Hot

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help ZD30DDTI getting Hot

Hi All Im New to this forum and to owning a patrol I have a slight overheating issue with my patrol I have recently replaced the thermostat, water pump lower radiator hose, the radiator is 4 years old coolant at 50% mixture so what happens is when driving for no real reason the temp will rise as high as 110 deg and then will drop back to around 100 deg on some tracks in low range not working really hard and then i get back on the hwy and it will drop back to 82 deg and then jump up to 96deg its all over the shop i don't seem to have any leaks and every thing seems to be in good order I mot sure why it gets so hot and then cool down so its not getting hot all the time. doing my head in.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it a DI or CRD . does it have a bullbar , if it is the standard ARB bullbar there is a plate underneath that goes from the bullbar to the body infront of the radiator , it helps funnel air thru the radiator . there is also a airdam that is connected to the body after the radiator and drops down infront of the steering gear , this helps maintain the low pressure area in the enginebay as does the rubber skirts in the front wheel arches by separating the high pressure zone in the wheel arch area from the low pressure zone in the engine bay . there is also a rubber strip on the underside of the bonnet at the front that stops air from going over the top of the radiator . all these things are important and need to be there to create a high pressure zone in front of the radiator and a low pressure zone behind the radiator to cause air to flow thru the radiator .at low speed the fan does the job if it is working correctly .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

mihit (23rd November 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first CRD would get hot under load (hills mostly). Replaced everything that you have incl radiator and it still got hot. Ended up being rooted injectors $$$

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your help I think I will take it to my mechanic to see what his thoughts are.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Viscous hub not kicking in? When the motor is hot is there any resistance if you try to spin the fan by hand?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What Mudski said x 2... dodgy viscous hub is easily the most common issue in 'hot' ZD30's... not always certainly but more often than not.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legends All Above, definitely worth testing/checking
    Have had a few bog stock Nissan motor variants and have too been unfortunately let down once by a Nissan Viscous Hub on a TD42 work touring.
    A safest test IMHO is to roll up a ‘newspaper’ and or ‘Pizza half Box’ to tickle your fan blades whilst running stinking hot (away/opposite from the kickback, let it glide/away from holding) a highly worrying temperature’hot’ spike roadside……quickly…..
    Turning the vehicle off will somewhat instantly stop radiator/fan pull from actively showing true results through the designed liquid within

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your response.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ynot65 For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd July 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ynot65 View Post
    Hi All Im New to this forum and to owning a patrol I have a slight overheating issue with my patrol I have recently replaced the thermostat, water pump lower radiator hose, the radiator is 4 years old coolant at 50% mixture so what happens is when driving for no real reason the temp will rise as high as 110 deg and then will drop back to around 100 deg on some tracks in low range not working really hard and then i get back on the hwy and it will drop back to 82 deg and then jump up to 96deg its all over the shop i don't seem to have any leaks and every thing seems to be in good order I mot sure why it gets so hot and then cool down so its not getting hot all the time. doing my head in.
    Thanks a lot for all the replies. I will take it to my mechanic to see what his thoughts are.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF it proves to be the fan hub, refilling one isn't a major job. need silicone grease and a shitload of brake-cleaner or similar solvent.
    Some have a bolt in a hole to facilitate draining/filling, some you get to make your own hole.
    Though with the cost of aftermarket spares you really have to weigh up what your time's worth.
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd November 2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast