Thread: Fitting a Throttle Controller to a Y62

Thanks
    Thanked 13,495 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Fitting a Throttle Controller to a Y62

Well I had read a couple of threads about plug in throttle controllers and there always a few who say "

"It's all in the foot mate! Just give it a kick......"

Well i bit the bullet a month or so ago and bought one. I have had it sitting on my desk for over a month and thought bugger it, time to fit this thing.

So they are set up as Vehicle Specific so you have to buy one to suit your car. I understand they are only suitable for Drive by Wire throttle vehicles.

Let's go! It can't be that hard.

There are a couple of brands on the market and this one seemed to get a good wrap and sourced off ebay.

So it starts with telling you you have to unplug the factory loom and this device plugs into the loom as a basic splice. The trouble with everything that says "unplug factory Plug... no tools required" fail to then describe how said factory Plug comes apart and this one didn't disappoint.

Firstly, locate the factory Plug

That was easy. Right on top of the accelerater peddle.

Now access was a pain in the ass and was awkward to get a good look at this thing.

***Hot tip, the loom plug going in is the same as the plug you are trying to undo so that was a little helpful.. about as helpful as holding a bloody rubic cube and figuring out how it comes apart.....

So first. There is a locking clip on the top that you don't have in the kit, this clip is kind of like a paperclip keyway, it needs to come straight out towards you.

From there the next bit is easy once you figure out the clip. Have a look at the plug in the kit. It has like a Drawer locking section that slides out to lift the plug out then in, it looks a little odd and once you see it slide out it's simple.

So it's time to plug the loom back in with the controller splice kit.

Simply plug it in.

Refit the locking clip.

Tie up out of the way with cable ties. Take the plug out through the fuse box lid. Ready to plug in.

I decided to fit the controller to the lower panel and ran the cable down under the steering wheel then poked it out the fuse box too.

They say it's a little bright so I fitted it low enough that you cant see it when the steering wheel is straight

Was pretty easy guys, the photos here make it a very simple fit. Hope this thread helps you.

#The62

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 26th March 2022 at 07:29 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Avo (27th March 2022), jay see (26th March 2022), Rossco (26th March 2022), Stropp (29th March 2022), TPC (26th March 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok so a Test drive was needed......

It is very flexible and allows me to present factory settings or like an auto setting that will adapt to my driving style.

Also the Ultimate Tune settings of U-1 up to U-9.... so I went straight to U-9 cause... why wouldn't you right!!!

Holy Mother of Bat Sh1t Crazy!!!!

My God.. no way am I'm telling the missus how to change the settings. Jesus!!! U-9 would be Mental on a dirt road. Almost chirpy. No way I'd get the car to behave like this with just a Heavy Foot.

THIS MOD MUST BE DONE!!!!

#The62

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (27th March 2022), jay see (26th March 2022), mudski (28th March 2022), Rossco (26th March 2022), Stropp (29th March 2022), Touses (28th March 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,769 Times in 2,033 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always Darren very well detailed. I'm sure 62 owners will be using this thread for a long time..

Sent from my CPH1921 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (26th March 2022)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I fitted one to my last vehicle a Dmax , I tested it in all types of driving , highway , dirt roads , high-country tracks / roads , towing , not towing , decided it wasn't needed , I could drive the Dmax just the same with it turned off ,
    There is no way I would bother to fit one to my 62 , its fine just the way it is .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofjr View Post
    I fitted one to my last vehicle a Dmax , I tested it in all types of driving , highway , dirt roads , high-country tracks / roads , towing , not towing , decided it wasn't needed , I could drive the Dmax just the same with it turned off ,
    There is no way I would bother to fit one to my 62 , its fine just the way it is .
    With the test drive I did I just went full tilt straight to Max and the throttle response and length of throttle is pretty crazy. The removal or any throttle lag is insane. I'm pretty happy with thebsignificant response improvement. Happy to set it to auto for most of the time though, the 62 goes very hard. I'm not shy with my foot in any way and drive it like I stole it at least a couple of times everything I get in it.

I'll take the response improvement of the throttle every time. I xan see why I would dial it back for general driving but U-9 is gunna be fun at the Buggy Park out of Beachport for sure.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Rossco (27th March 2022), Stropp (29th March 2022)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried all the different settings , I had it on the Dmax for 100k and yes I thought like everyone else wow at first . Throttle lag a 62 has no throttle lag .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofjr View Post
    I tried all the different settings , I had it on the Dmax for 100k and yes I thought like everyone else wow at first . Throttle lag a 62 has no throttle lag .
    It doesn't have throttle lag until it really doesn't have throttle lag. It's night and day different. Off the mark it's punchy, at 60kms it's punchy, at 100kmh to over take it goes from mild to wild.

The 62 is very very sweet straight off the boat for sure but this throttle controller has made a huge change in the characteristics of the car.

I read an article yesterday detailing how these work and am very happy to understand that it's not myth or magic. Science and technology wins the day.

This article is worth your time. Go to about halfway down and have a read about how they work and what is actually happening. At the highest setting it's wild. 100% too wild for around town but nice to know its there for the buggy park at Christmas time. Lol

https://outbackjoe.com/macho-diverti...s-it-worth-it/
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 27th March 2022 at 10:16 AM.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah it was night and day different with my Dmax but still didn't need it . I have towed my camper with the 62 through Googs tk over the dunes throttle was fine . If they would make one to use like a hand throttle for winching running a compressor ect , it would then be worth it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These throttle controllers only interest me for the economy settings in tricky situations, sometimes I'm riding the brake and accelerator at the same time (auto) cos I need a stab of power to move a bit but not TOO MUCH that I'm hard on the brakes. I'd also set it to max economy mode before giving the keys to the missus.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted