User Tag List

Thread: Advice needed on 'new' Cylinder head

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice needed on 'new' Cylinder head

Last Friday received the 'new' Cylinder head. Advertised as 'Serviced' , I could choose between 'Brand New' , - 'Reconditioned' and 'Serviced'. Living on an age pension have to be penny wise so went for the cheap option: $850 plus shipping.
    It arrived extremely well packed on a small timber skid with very good packaging to protect it.
    What struck me first was how dirty it is on the outside - "How hard would it be to give it a friendly cleaning blast ? " - The inside is very clean , looking in the valve gates it is very tidy.

But ... the coolant channels were all full of brown grit .... rust ? Or is it some stuff they used to re-surface the head (very nice and shiny done). Any idea here - see photos.
    I blew it out with air and water and some wire and it is all clean now - but I was not all that happy .

Something unfamiliar to me: a spot where it looks welded or so ? See photos. What do I make of that and should I be worried ?

Some expert opinion please .
    thanks !

_DSF0080.jpg_DSF0089.jpg_DSF0090.jpg_DSF0102.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    66 views & no responses yet.
    Me, I'm no expert, but guessing the brown stuff might be something like walnut shell used as a blasting medium. Not cleaning it out seems a bit slack to me. Probably better leaving it though so you know a thorough clean is needed, than to clean most so the buyer thinks it's all good & then gets a blocked oilway after fitting.
    The welded repair isn't pretty but don't suppose they are generally. I don't think it should have come as a surprise - they should have told you before you made your decision & paid for it. That said it looks like it should be useable to me, but I'd advise a conversation with the supplier before fitting it to hopefully put your mind at rest. Cleaning the outside - I agree with you. They could have made it an option that you paid a bit more for, but the important point is being very clear with the customer as to what they are getting.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think that weld has been there for a while, its not new. You can se the oil deposits in the pores of the weld. as for the rest, I supposed service means that, resurface the face and make sure everything works, and thats it. I would think reco option, the entire head would be clean, inside and out, on top of the resurfacing and testing etc etc. Hence being slightly dearer as they have done more work. Ring Patrol a Part and ask them if you have concerns. I would think it comes with some sort of warranty.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Patrol a Part provided stellar service:
    "Return at our expenses and a full refund incl. all shipping."
    Even though they could not supply a replacement : 'out of stock'.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (30th March 2022), Cuppa (30th March 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LandRoverGhost View Post
    Patrol a Part provided stellar service:
    "Return at our expenses and a full refund incl. all shipping."
    Even though they could not supply a replacement : 'out of stock'.
    I guess we don't know the whole story, but I must admit I would be more accepting of the part being 'useable' knowing it had come from Patrolapart than from many wreckers/backyarders. They have a pretty good reputation to maintain. I'm hoping the return was on the basis of your uncertainty rather than there being an identified problem which meant the part was unuseable. I still think you should have been supplied wth a comprehensive condition report prior to purchase, & I suspect (because of 'return at our expense/full refund) that Patrolapart recognise that.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up mine as a new head and valves - $1,300.
    Re fitted the springs and collets from the old head.
    Kinda went that way for the TB42 because of how bad old heads get.
    My oldie had 5x cracks between valves and the valves were pocketed 3mm +

What did you end up fitting?
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    Best way to deal with a "Can't" is to chop off the "t" and brew it in boiled water for a few minutes.
    Sip on the "t", and consider what you've got left to work with