Thread: Best workshop investment ever ?

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best workshop investment ever ?

I've been struggling with my TB42 S engine way to long now. But in the process learned a few things I shared and here is an other experience:

I had rebuilt the head meticulously, but realised I took a gamble :" Does it leak or not ? But living remote sending it by expensive courier to a city for testing and forking out the test fee was more expensive as at least four head bolt sets so I took my changes. If I had only known this simple self test method because on the end the head proofed to be as porous as a sponge.

This is how I tested it after the oil was again mixed with coolant:

I bought a Cooling System pressure test kit on eBay for just under $80.
    Cleaned the head on the engine , made sure it was as dry as possible.
    Then pressurised the cooling system to about 20Psi - double the average working pressure.
    Found a small leak under a hose-clamp, easy fix.
    Then observed the head between the valves:
    Well that was the weirdest thing I have seen in a long time:
    Coolant just appeared out of solid metal - the two photos with the coolant drops on the metal are made within a few seconds: from a small drop growing to that big one just out of the aluminium !

A replacement head is on its way...

_DSF0051.jpg_DSF0047.jpg_DSF0053.jpg_DSF0058.jpg

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

04OFF (8th March 2022), Bidja (9th March 2022), budgie (29th March 2022), Cremulator (9th March 2022), Cuppa (8th March 2022), MudRunnerTD (8th March 2022), mudski (8th March 2022), Touses (8th March 2022)