Thread: Gvm upgrade gu iv wagon

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffayres View Post

It can be reverted to 7 seat capacity by refitting the seats and belts and presenting to VicRoads for inspection (no fee).
    Changed our ute from 3 to 2 seats & took it to them. They looked at it 'cos I asked them to, but were not really interested. Asked if they could give me something to say they had inspected it & was told no, because seat numbers are not recorded on rego documents. So they have no record of the change. If I were ever to change back it would be a complete waste of time to take it back to VicRoads.

Is your seating capacity shown on your rego document?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if they've allowed your GCM upgrade because it's still well below the factory TD42 GCM.
    Factory GCM of any Patrol is GVM + towing capacity.
    If mine had been a manual box instead of auto, it would have 1000 kg more on the GCM. I asked the engineer if he could up the towing capacity, seeing as it was now a TD42T instead of a TB45E, but he said it wasn’t possible. Nissan limit the auto box to 2500 kg while they allow the TD42 manual to tow 3500 kg.

I’ve often wondered what a stock TD42T would feel like towing 3.5t. I’ve read that some take the auto hubs out so they can use low range to take off on an incline.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    Factory GCM of any Patrol is GVM + towing capacity.
    I’ve often wondered what a stock TD42T would feel like towing 3.5t. I’ve read that some take the auto hubs out so they can use low range to take off on an incline.
    I never tried towing 3.5T in stock trim. I'd guess not much fun.

No issues at all towing 3T with a 12mm pump.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to geoffayres For This Useful Post:

jff45 (3rd April 2022)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Is your seating capacity shown on your rego document?
    No, but it is shown on the compliance plate and recorded on VicRoads database.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but it is shown on the compliance plate and recorded on VicRoads database.
    Hmmmmm.....well I hope my seat change was recorded then, They didn't tell me it would be. I wrote asking for confirmation & never ever received a reply. The following is what I posted here on the day I took it in.

"So as I had nothing better to do, I drove across town to VicRoads office & patiently sat in their queue.
    When my turn came I told the VicRoads staff member what I had done & my reason for coming in.
    I was directed to bring my car to the inspection bay, whereupon the staff member stuck her head into the vehicle & said “Yep, that’s two seats”
    I then asked if I would be provided with some evidence that I had advised VicRoads of the change of seating as the compliance plate says seating for 3.
    “We can’t change a compliance plate” she said, & further agreed that the number of seats is not shown on the Registration certificate so the change would not be recorded there. “So it was a bit of a waste of time bringing it in?” I said. She smiled & shrugged her shoulders.
    So I have no evidence that I have advised VicRoads of the change. Considering they say that they MUST be advised this seems rather odd to me"

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    They’re not great with 3.5T hauling and do require calm patience John Mate.

My old stock 2000 TD42T GU DX manual work ute had manual hubs thankfully and I did occasionally have to use LR transfer case selection to get going at lights that were perched on steep inclines and pull over at the top to change back to 2WD ratio.

Our stock wagon 2001 TD42T was even worse especially on the highways with 3.5T towing due to its 3.9 ratio diffs versus utes 4.1 lower ratios from factory.

3” exhaust systems and decent tunes were installed on both eventually which helps but be prepared to stay in 4th on highways and plod along watching closely your exhaust gas temps with aftermarket gauges needed on stock TD42T intercooler-less manual box factory legal 3.5T towing variants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

jff45 (3rd April 2022), Rossco (3rd April 2022)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the Pedders upgrade is for the 3L only.
    I’ve spoken to them and they have inspected vehicle, 2005 manual 4.2td wagon. GVM upgrade to 3505 booked in and ready to go, but awaiting springs as they have a shortage of springs for my vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shakey55 For This Useful Post:

geoffayres (5th April 2022), jff45 (4th April 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    I’ve spoken to them and they have inspected vehicle, 2005 manual 4.2td wagon. GVM upgrade to 3505 booked in and ready to go, but awaiting springs as they have a shortage of springs for my vehicle.

G'day Shakey55,

Just wondering how you went with Pedders and your GVM upgrade on your 4.2?

Cheers,
    James

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillboy View Post
    G'day Shakey55,

Cheers,
    James
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillboy View Post
    G'day Shakey55,

Cheers,
    James
    Hillboy

Sorry I haven’t been back for some time.

I have had the GVM upgrade and since put airbags in (a new set - as one of the older had a hole)

I’m more than happy with the outcome, it’s just what I needed.

Attached is a copy of the compliance certificate showing among other things, the before and after GVM, front axle rating and rear axle rating.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to shakey55 For This Useful Post:

mihit (12th February 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,489 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I need a gvm upgrade to tow the caravan, with 200kg towball weight I’m 534kg over the 3040kg gvm. I’ve taken both spare wheels off the car and one swing away arm , taken everything out of the rear drawers and removed the 40ltr fridge and dropslide, hoping that is enough as it’s all behind the rear wheels, if I’m close I’ll take the drawers out if not it’s a gvm upgrade.

Well I dropped 190kg but still 244 over so nothing left but gvm upgrade ��
    Last edited by Stropp; 11th February 2023 at 10:37 PM.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

Hodge (12th February 2023)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast