Thread: Gvm upgrade gu iv wagon

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gvm upgrade gu iv wagon

I’m in the market for a GVM upgrade for my 2005 GU IV 4.2td wagon.

Has anyone here had it done. If so who did you get to do it.

Was there much involved in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did this on a GQ Patrol. the limit is the axle ratings, as defined by NIssan. The spring rates need to match the new load capacity. Tyres must be rated for the load, as do any aftermarket rims. I had to do a 44 stop brake test as well, 22 off 60 - zero and 22 off 80 to zero emerg stops. Had to put the vehicle over a weigh bridge to confirm its weight. Some company's charge like a wounded bull for this - I just did the work in advance, but still cost $800. Some like Pedder also install diff strengthening webs - isnt needed as the axles and housing rating is based on the max carrying capacity - talk to your engineer first before getting slugged for unnecessary mods. For example, in Vic, the system approved in WA is not recognised. Additionally one VASS certifier told me the suspension needed to be replaced regardless of it being 1 week old and duty rated for the GVM upgrade and then he claimed the car needed to go thru a complete RWC as well. I left and he reported me to Vicroads as having an unroadworthy vehicle because I refused to allow him to rip me off.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

jay see (4th March 2022), MudRunnerTD (4th March 2022), shakey55 (5th March 2022), Winnie (4th March 2022)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I found an engineer at a suspension company at Ingleburn NSW, who explained a lot to me and advised that they do GVM upgrades. Will be arranging to go and see him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shakey55 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (5th March 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had my 2001 GUII done to 3550 kg here in QLD. The engineer gave me a list of the Tough Dog springs & shocks required + 2 degree castor bushes and was Ok with me doing all the work myself here at home.
    He came to my house to inspect the work and did the blue plate here for $650. The Tough Dog etc stuff was around $1500.
    The vehicle had to be diesel (he didn't care that it was converted) and have ABS. He saw my rear spring mount braces and agreed they were a good idea but he didn't require them.

Tough Dog say it's a 2" lift but it's more like 80 mm if there's no weight in it. It sits just right with 260 kg towball weight on it and doesn't need the Polyair bags anymore.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

mihit (12th February 2023), shakey55 (1st April 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting to hear that ABS was a requirement. Out of curiousity (and not necessarily for GVM upgrade) has anyone fitted ABS to their vehicle that originally wasn't delivered with ABS from factory?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

shakey55 (1st April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    Interesting to hear that ABS was a requirement. Out of curiousity (and not necessarily for GVM upgrade) has anyone fitted ABS to their vehicle that originally wasn't delivered with ABS from factory?
    Also forgot to mention that, in addition to the ABS requirement, I had to fit Narva Cat 6 side indicators. This is because, to be able to do the GVM upgrade to 3550 kg, the Patrol changed category to light commercial.

I would expect retrofitting ABS to an older Patrol to be a real pain. Not only the mechanical side, which includes a different master cylinder, with all the brake line swapping, etc but the electrics/electronics would be a real headache.
    You also need to consider how you want it to work with diff locks. My Ti has factory rear locker and it cuts out the ABS when engaged.

Edit: Short story about my ABS.. I've owned my Patrol for 15 years and a couple of months ago I felled a big foxtail palm that was becoming dangerous. I (over)loaded it into my 8x5 trailer to take to the dump on a drizzly morning and approaching the dump entrance I started to brake and realised the road was a bit greasy as the pedal started pulsating as the trailer pushed the Patrol straight ahead. I wasn't going fast but still had to back the trailer up to make the turn so I'd overshot by a few metres.
    First time in 15 years I'd activated the ABS..
    Last edited by jff45; 5th March 2022 at 09:28 AM.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning.

A few of you have read that I’m in need of a GVM upgrade for my 2005 Patrol Wagon (4.2 TD)

I’ve been searching for places, found one who will upgrade to 3300. I was looking for 3500.

I have found that Pedders do one to 3500.

Has anyone here had a GVM upgrade done with Pedders and if so how did it turn out.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Good morning.

A few of you have read that I’m in need of a GVM upgrade for my 2005 Patrol Wagon (4.2 TD)

I’ve been searching for places, found one who will upgrade to 3300. I was looking for 3500.

I have found that Pedders do one to 3500.

Has anyone here had a GVM upgrade done with Pedders and if so how did it turn out.

I had the pedders 3505kg GVM Upgade done prior to first registration on my 2016 LE GU CRD, I'm still running it today. It does the job, but its a pretty hard ride if not loaded. My rear diff was braced along with the rear coil towers as part of the GVM increase. It also had to be registered as a 5 seater and the larger cat 6 side indicators fitted. Keep in mind that once you do the upgrade you're stuck with using the same suspension.
    I've attached a photo showing the rear diff bracing and axle capacities.

IMG_4352.JPG

IMG_4336.jpg
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its also worth noting, as this is in the caravan and campers section, a GVM upgrade won't give you a GCM upgrade if that's what you're chasing for towing?
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stevemc181 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different situation - we had our rear leaf sprung GU ute's gvm upgraded in 2013. 3400kg to 3900kg. I just want to suggest that prior to getting any gvm upgrade ask questions about on & off road performance. It is my experience that it is possible to get springs with the same load bearing qualities that are quite different to each other. Either more suited to carrying a heavy load on paved roads or off road. One with a great deal more flex than the other. I'm sure this applies less to coil springs, but worth asking the questions before committing.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast