Thread: Paracitic Draw help

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Paracitic Draw help

I'm stuck on a paracitic draw issue. I've done the test and have identified around a 100 milliamp draw on fuse 24 (BATT / ELEC /PARTS). I've reviewed some of the wiring diagrams but still can't figure out where the draw might be coming from. It's a 2006 GU IV 3.0 ZD30 manual. It has lots of accessories, spotties, lights, CB, aftermarket radio, reverse camera, rear lights, winch, dual batters with isolator, rear wiring with fridge plug, DVD player, turbo timer, glint hotwater, plus probably other stuff.

Does anyone know where this draw could be coming from? I've done lots of searching but can't find anything.

thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Have you pulled fuses out one at a time and watched for the amperage to drop? If that doesn't work, pull relays out and watch for a drop. There will always be a slight current for the clock and maybe the ECU, but it will be miniscule. Check that the trailer socket wiring hasn't chafed through, with a build up of dirt and moisture allowing a seepage to earth.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the fuse impacted is 24 which is on a circut that does a number of items including the clock and the buzzer for the door/key but at 100 milliamps that's way too much. I have a feeling that an accessory has tapped into the power somewhere along this circut and that is causing it but the wiring is all a bit of a mess. I'll have a look at the trailer socket when it stops raining!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you confirmed this amount of current is too high by looking at another Patrol? One tenth of an amp does not seem like a lot when you consider there are a number of circuits that are always "live" even when the ignition is off. Clock, NATS, door unlock circuitry, some ECU functions, are just some I can think of.

If it was me - I would compare with one or two other Patrols first (the closer to your model year the better) and if it was a real problem then - start to unplug components one at a time until I found the problem.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BillsGU For This Useful Post:

typo368 (24th April 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    new cars will draw 0.2 of an amp ... in shut down mode, it changes from car to car, once u got it narrowed down to one circuit it looks like your tracing wires.
    cars will always draw some current, the more security and convenience features the more it will draw even when its off. if I remember right I have seen figures of 0.5a being normal draw for a car that is shut down. why do you think you have a parasitic draw ?
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I'm reading the Multi-meter wrong, it must be 1 amp draw, I'm getting a flat battery over night and the battery is brand new.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1 amp draw should not kill your battery overnight or even over a few nights.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garett View Post
    new cars will draw 0.2 of an amp ... in shut down mode, it changes from car to car, once u got it narrowed down to one circuit it looks like your tracing wires.
    cars will always draw some current, the more security and convenience features the more it will draw even when its off. if I remember right I have seen figures of 0.5a being normal draw for a car that is shut down. why do you think you have a parasitic draw ?
    That seems excessive to my old school psyche. The Ol' Trol has .003 with the clock and electric brake module. But as you have posted, New Technology needs to be permanently connected.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    That seems excessive to my old school psyche. The Ol' Trol has .003 with the clock and electric brake module. But as you have posted, New Technology needs to be permanently connected.
    yeah I had to search for figures in a certain makes data base, had a Bunch of cars going flat after 10 days, that was all they were designed to sit for....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MUZ580 View Post
    Maybe I'm reading the Multi-meter wrong, it must be 1 amp draw, I'm getting a flat battery over night and the battery is brand new.
    I would be disconnecting things until I found the culprit. one at a time,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast