OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Diesel conversion (TD42 from TB42)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been so tempted a number of times to do this conversion myself with the Mav to tell you the truth. The only regret I've ever had with this rig is it wasn't a TD42 other then that I can't part with it so this inspires me to keep my eye out for a donor rig for a future conversion project.

Cheers Rossco for the thread, its mades for some interesting reading.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We did this conversion on a mates patrol last w/end.
    Drove it into the shed friday arvo as a tb42 petrol/auto an drove it out sunday arvo as a deisel manual.
    Used his old patrol for all the donor parts ,
    We had to remove all the dash an swap the wiring looms mount the pedal box for clutch an change brake pedal.
    Used engine crane to lower old auto an then lift manual box back in by dropping chain through floor where the shifters normally sit (if you wrap 1 chain around box in front of cross member an one directly behind crossmember the box will lift dead level).
    We ran all the deisel loom an fuel lines etc while there was no motor or box in car so we could get to everthing easy.
    When you change over looms the fuse box has to be pushed through fire wall from the outside an then all the interior wiring fed through after it. It also helps to trim off all the excess dags an corners on the fuse box as its a real neat fit through the firewall.
    Once we had motor box an wiring etc all fitted up we drained an flushed tank flushed lines an then primed her to the filter ,changed the filter ,primed up again up an kicked it in the guts .
    90 maverick LWB 2" lift,General Grabber a/t
    92 Coil Cab 3" lift, kl71 33"s n/a td42

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to red92gq For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (10th July 2014), russcov87 (22nd January 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've thought about changing my 4.5L dual fuel to 4.2L Turbo Diesel. What sort of cost would you think it would cost? ball park!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can do the swap yourself around $10,000, double that if you're paying someone to do it. That's to fit a factory TD42T with new clutch, water pump, hoses, belts, radiator etc.

Tony

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info Tony. In terms of the running gear diffs, box etc. do these need any modification or is it all the same for petrol and diesel?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    Thanks for the info Tony. In terms of the running gear diffs, box etc. do these need any modification or is it all the same for petrol and diesel?
    The gearboxes are the same between 4.5 manual and 4.2 diesel, just a different bell housing.
    Front diffs are the same but if you have a manual 4.5 then you will have a bigger rear diff, which is no real problem.
    As for diff ratio's I think your 4.5 will have 3.9:1 ratio which is the same as was fitted to TD42 turbo Patrols, naturally aspirated TD42 got 4.1:1 - so close it doesn't matter unless you fit bigger tyres.

Tony

9. The Following User Says Thank You to YNOT For This Useful Post:

russcov87 (22nd January 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tony,
    I was aware of the Bell housing but not sure on the other issues. Boy do you know you Patrols!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    infoormation above so helpfull thanks mate

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha i was thinking quite opposite... remove td 42 and put tb 42 carburetor gas.... now its make me think again

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi cani i ask why did you change your petrol 1 for diesel plz..
    Quote Originally Posted by red92gq View Post
    We did this conversion on a mates patrol last w/end.
    Drove it into the shed friday arvo as a tb42 petrol/auto an drove it out sunday arvo as a deisel manual.
    Used his old patrol for all the donor parts ,
    We had to remove all the dash an swap the wiring looms mount the pedal box for clutch an change brake pedal.
    Used engine crane to lower old auto an then lift manual box back in by dropping chain through floor where the shifters normally sit (if you wrap 1 chain around box in front of cross member an one directly behind crossmember the box will lift dead level).
    We ran all the deisel loom an fuel lines etc while there was no motor or box in car so we could get to everthing easy.
    When you change over looms the fuse box has to be pushed through fire wall from the outside an then all the interior wiring fed through after it. It also helps to trim off all the excess dags an corners on the fuse box as its a real neat fit through the firewall.
    Once we had motor box an wiring etc all fitted up we drained an flushed tank flushed lines an then primed her to the filter ,changed the filter ,primed up again up an kicked it in the guts .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast