OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Towing & Daily Driver - 3ltr likely target - Opinions and options etc required

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing & Daily Driver - 3ltr likely target - Opinions and options etc required

Hi everyone,
    Not sure if topic title was clear, so let me expand.
    I've had two GQ 4.2 over the years, sold last one 4 years ago as bought Trakmaster caravan (2nd hand) and it is ATM 2700kg so too heavy for GQ. Bought an ISUZU Dmax new and has been great, but really want another Patrol. (sell the ISUZU of course)

Given budget, and even more so, availability in SA, I'm looking at a GU 3Ltr.

Research every where on web has mixed opinions on distance towing with GU 3ltr. I have travelling friends who use a 3ltr Navarra (2006 or 2007) to tow a similar weight van and its been up the Birdsville, central/west Qld, Cameron Corner, etc. all with now issues at all. That leaves me thinking a Patrol GU 3ltr manual (tow rate 3200kg I believe) would be eminently suitable.

So what does everyone think? Should I go down this path? [4.2 are like rocking-horse poo; I looked at one (the ONLY one listed SA) at dealer yard and top price but rusty underneath and a few other issues so walked away].

There are a couple dated 2005 - 2010 good prices, haven't seen them in the flesh yet, but both private and dealer yards.

Anything really important to check, other than usual stuff when buying 2nd hand? I will part with $300 for RAA check, but can't do that too often!

Is this a good idea? What extra things should I do to make it a great travelling/touring car? If you think this is a bad idea, I'm kind of stuck because my heart is itching to get back to a Patrol. I looked at the idea of 100 LC but Toyota really doesn't do it for me.

All replies, advice etc welcome.
    Chris

PS How about existing mileage? Current targets range from around 280000 to 367000km. If service excellent, would you consider them?
    Last edited by monty; 12th February 2022 at 04:41 PM. Reason: extra info

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would suggest going to a 3ltr common rail and having it retuned with a fully welded intercooler, fit good quality provent/flashlube catchcan, clean your maf every time you change the oil. I can't really fault mine in the power/towing department, but I also drive with mechanical sympathy.

I got mine from a dealer and they recommended me bringing it back for a service at 10,000kms! I told them not to contact me again. Initially I thought I had I the steering wobbles but it turned out to be only flat spots on the wheels from sitting for so long.

If it makes a strange whistling noise under acceleration when cold (like a saxophone reed), it could have a warped exhaust manifold.
    Last edited by pollenface; 12th February 2022 at 06:11 PM.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Pollenface for your thoughts.
    Currently in SA the CRD 3ltr are very high prices, but certainly low kms.

Any one want to comment on a 2005 manual 3ltr? On web it looks in excellent condition, but is getting close to 370,000. It currently looks (on photos) as the best option at present in SA.

ALSO Just to muddy the picture a bit, what about early (1999) GU 4.2 NA manual? Every where I look I get different max towing limits. Ignoring tow bar (assume 3500) I've seen 2500, 2800, 3140, 3200 & 3500.
    WTF? anybody know for certain 1999 DX 4.2 NA manual 5spd.

Thanks
    Last edited by monty; 14th February 2022 at 10:19 AM. Reason: extra question

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I'd avoid the 3.0 Di as they've often been the cause of tears being shed. I'd only consider the CRD if I had to be convinced to buy a 3 litre in a Patrol.

I wasn't aware that N/A version of the GU 4.2 were sold in Australia.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John,
    when I wrote NA I meant naturally aspirated, i.e. not turbo induction. If there is a NA model produced somewhere, I wasn't aware of it.
    Hope that clears any confusion. First couple of GU years weren't turbo'd here from my understanding.

As for the 3ltr, I thought post 2003 they weren't so bad.

I see you changed from 4.5 Petrol to 4,2 Diesel. I would be most interested how that change-over went, who/where done, cost if that's not too cheeky. Petrol are certainly cheaper, generally, to buy and wonder if that might be a good option to pursue. For me it would have to be a 'cheque' modification as not anything I could consider going myself.
    Cheers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No confusion, mate, I understood you meant non turbo but wasn’t aware some early GUs were N/A. I thought they were all factory turbo TD42T engines with no IC until the TD42Ti was introduced.

I did my conversion in 2015. I was sufficiently equipped and mechanically capable so I did it all myself.
    Engine is a low mileage factory turbo TD42T imported from Japan and was originally in a ‘96 GQ auto.

I wouldn’t buy an old TB45E today for towing 2.7t. Auto is limited to 2500 kgs anyway, even mine with the warmed TD42T

I added a lot of new parts like seals, gaskets, water pump, hoses, etc. Final cost after selling off TB45 engine and other bits and pieces was $7k. The engine cost me $6800.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (14th February 2022), monty (14th February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Thanks Pollenface for your thoughts.
    Currently in SA the CRD 3ltr are very high prices, but certainly low kms.

Any one want to comment on a 2005 manual 3ltr? On web it looks in excellent condition, but is getting close to 370,000. It currently looks (on photos) as the best option at present in SA.

ALSO Just to muddy the picture a bit, what about early (1999) GU 4.2 NA manual? Every where I look I get different max towing limits. Ignoring tow bar (assume 3500) I've seen 2500, 2800, 3140, 3200 & 3500.
    WTF? anybody know for certain 1999 DX 4.2 NA manual 5spd.

Thanks
    If your budget cant stretch to a CRD3.0 then id say Dont buy yet. Save more. The saving now for a CRD will be way way less than saving for a new motor if the DI ZD30 drops its guts... and they do... A Lot.

An early GU 1998 99 with a TD will work great, hold its value and get you out. That would be my choice, then save for a new Turbo, Pump and intercooler.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

monty (16th February 2022), Stropp (16th February 2022)