Thread: Single handed cylinder head placement

Threaded View

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Single handed cylinder head placement

If your not the youngest anymore (like me) , live very remote with neighbours and friends far far away and have to lift the cylinder head back on the engine on your own ... you're in for trouble....
    But as we get older we're supposed to get smarter - I tried:

On the photos you see a nice clean bath towel & a series of wood dowels (wife's broomstick) between head and head-gasket on the engine.
    I folded the bath towel over the radiator , glided the head over it on the dowels (one dowel in a cylinder pot to stop the lot from rolling away) and very easy landed the cylinder head on the dowels. Then moved the head sort of in position and inserted two bolts and took all but one dowel away and very easy again positioned the head to near perfection so that I could insert two bolts close to the center in their holes.
    Then lifted the head on the back end, then moved the wood dowel to the end and smoothly positioned the head over the metal dowel in the engine on the front end , then removed the timber dowel and let the head position over that same short steel location dowel at the end of the engine. All in all 5 minutes very light work.
    Enjoy !
    Jacob

_DSF0031.jpg _DSF0026.jpg _DSF0028.jpg
    Last edited by LandRoverGhost; 10th February 2022 at 09:05 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

04OFF (12th February 2022), Bidja (12th February 2022), BrazilianY60 (11th February 2022), Cremulator (11th February 2022), MB (11th February 2022), mudnut (10th February 2022), Palmo-GQ (11th May 2023)