OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: DIY valve spring compression tool.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY valve spring compression tool.

A while ago I posted a question about replacing a head gasket. many thanks to all who helped with advice.
    The head is off , and the valves looked they could do with a clean , one was not even closing 100% .
    But I never had taken out valves of a head - all I ever did was head gaskets.
    But some 50+ years ago trained as mechanic that should not be too hard ?

Searched and found one needs a tool to compress the valve springs to start with. Ordered one on eBay - it never arrived....
    So made one myself - works great.
    The photos speak for them selves.

Between the head and the clamp I used a piece of plywood to protect the head surface.
    I used a rag ball between plywood and valves to keep the valves pushed upwards - saves fiddling to pull the valves up..

_DSF0021.jpg_DSF0020.jpg_DSF0022.jpg_DSF0024.jpg

Words of advice:
    -- DO NOT USE A WOODWORKERS CLAMP - they can loose their grip at random and parts will fly. Use a decent mechanics clamp as in the photos
    -- WEAR SAFETY GLASSES - the little collets can find your eyes when compressing a spring goes wrong
    -- Have a magnetic picker handy for when a collet want to hide in a hole
    -- Be patient positioning everything accurate in line before even touching the collets - saves time and frustration
    SAFETY FIRST
    Last edited by LandRoverGhost; 11th February 2022 at 08:31 PM.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

Arfa Brayne (6th May 2022), Cuppa (10th February 2022), MB (10th February 2022), mudnut (10th February 2022), MudRunnerTD (10th February 2022), PeeBee (11th February 2022), Rossco (10th February 2022), Touses (10th February 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement