OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: ZD30 lacking low down grunt - normal?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ZD30 lacking low down grunt - normal?

Hi all,
    I've taken my 02 GU ZD30 5 spd out a few times and it seems to have an issue down low (below 1500rpm). If others climb a hill in Low 2nd I'll need to be in Low 1st to make sure that it won't stall on me... Not sure if its an issue, or maybe just the fact its a reasonably small motor in a big truck.
    The old girl has done 300,000km so could be pretty tired (not sure if its had an engine replacement/refresh at all).
    It's had a MAF replaced recently and doesn't have any major signs of an intercooler leak so those can be ruled out.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're normally a fairly punchy engine down low, not as good as a TD42 but not lacking either.
    It could be any number of things or a combination.
    *If the EGR and PCV are still connected there will be a big black tar like build up in the inlet manifold and intake ports restricting air flow into the engine.
    *Worn injectors and/or pump may not be delivering the full amount of fuel or atomising it properly out of the injectors.
    *Exhaust if still the original could be resticting exhaust flow out of the engine.
    The list goes on.

Do you have boost and pyro gauges?

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting on a dawes valve (been a few weeks now....) so haven't blocked off EGR yet. I've recently replaced the exhaust with a 3", I also have a DTronic chip and intercooler fan that I'll be fitting in the next couple of weeks.
    No gauges as yet.
    The problem has been there before and all work.
    I bought the fan because it always seems to be after low speed for a while so thought the intercooler might not be getting sufficient cooling.
    I had wondered about the injectors, might be worth getting checked.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't fit the dawes valve until you have at least the boost gauge or you will be guessing where the boost is set.

Tony

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was under the impression that a dawes valve would limit boost, I was going to fit it and check with a master gauge but trying to limit additional gauges where possible.
    Gotta limit the expenses somewhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a Company 2002 3.o L Patrol which I found to be lacking in Power down low until the Turbo kicked in.
    After driving 4.2's and 4.8's it was quite noticeable as I was used to just idling through rough Country whereas
    you had to punch out the 3.0L which in some cases was not what you wanted.
    On the Highway pulling Caravans and trailers it was great.
    Last edited by Bob; 4th August 2011 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BearGUST View Post
    Hi all,
    I've taken my 02 GU ZD30 5 spd out a few times and it seems to have an issue down low (below 1500rpm). If others climb a hill in Low 2nd I'll need to be in Low 1st to make sure that it won't stall on me... Not sure if its an issue, or maybe just the fact its a reasonably small motor in a big truck.
    The old girl has done 300,000km so could be pretty tired (not sure if its had an engine replacement/refresh at all).
    It's had a MAF replaced recently and doesn't have any major signs of an intercooler leak so those can be ruled out.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Without actually seeing whats happening it sounds normal to me... and you haven't mentioned tyre size but if you are running 33's that is definitely how it will feel I reckon.

Stock ZD30 won't pull the skin off custard below about 2,000 ish above that and the zing along very nicely thanks. The VNT Turbo won't get anything like full boost down around 1500 RPM and take what seems ages to spool up so will feel like a slug.
    Modding the exhaust and a Chip like you have will get a good spool up lower than 2,000 so maybe 1750 or 1800 depending.
    Even a CRD with 3 inch and a Chip won't pull hard from 1500.

I have found that I need to be either faster (ergo higher RPM's) or 1 gear lower in my CRD on about 33% or more of my favourite haunts compared to my prev GQ's.

Just have to get used to the ZD30 liking the high Revs... took me a long while I must admit.

If you are concerned there is only one way to find out for sure and thats a Dyno.

EDIT... ooops I see you haven't fitted the Dtronic yet. So, yeah, I reckon you are experiencing fairly normal performance (let the Mod's begin) Hehehehe
    Last edited by the evil twin; 4th August 2011 at 05:14 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am running 33's so it sounds fairly normal.
    (I haven't lost as much drivability as when I had 31's on a Wrangler years ago!!!)
    I'm quite happy to just have to pick the right gear with that in mind, and yes - a few tweaks won't hurt