Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Activating an EPIRB or PLB in Real Life

Hi guys,

Many of you would have seen the story recently about the family that got bogged in the middle of the Simpson Desert in their Camper Truck.

They activated their EPIRB and had to have airdrops and air rescue.

Here is a great interview with the guy that lived it. No Crap. No Social Media junk.... Just WHAT HAPPENED.

Well worth your time to watch. 30minutes well spent. It might save your life one day.

The last 5 minutes of the vid is the interviewer going through the options you have and how they work and it very informative.

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 30th January 2022 at 12:23 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

AB (30th January 2022), Cuppa (30th January 2022), Hodge (30th January 2022), MB (31st January 2022), mudnut (30th January 2022), Pete49 (30th January 2022), Rossco (30th January 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great post Darren.
    I watched that video yesterday. Definite eye-opener and a absolute must watch as a lot of us have this "it'll never happen to me" attitude.

I have a GME unit in the car with me no matter how long or short my trip is. I've owned one since I went out with a work mate who is a mountain climber and a caver...
    And he put me in a position, where it ended up being a "WTF are you gonna do now" scenario... The next business day I went out and invested in a unit.
    Cheap potential life saving insurance if you ask me.
    2005 TD42TI

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (31st January 2022), MudRunnerTD (30th January 2022)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought my first PLB in 1997, would not be without it. Last line of emerg defence in my view after active comms gear has failed.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Hodge (30th January 2022), MB (31st January 2022), MudRunnerTD (30th January 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We carry a PLB & a Satphone. Touch wood have never needed either, but wouldn't be without them.

Ours are in our grab bag in the car (Everyone has a grab bag when off the beaten track don't they?)

We really ought to carry the PLB when away from the car too, but generally we don't. Our GME PLB is great, but when it needs replacing in 2024 we'll look for a smaller unit that we can carry more easily in a pocket.

Every time the topic of PLB's comes up I remember the advice an old friend offers to folks. He reminds them that accidents can happen near home just as easily as in remote areas, & recounts the sad tale of someone driving home at night on a well used road, & who in an accident scenario had the car leave the road, over an embankment. He was hurt, but not killed, but he died because he was inside his trapped car which could not be seen from the road & wasn't found in time. Less than 10km from home. If he had had a PLB in the car he would have survived.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

04OFF (1st February 2022), growler2058 (30th January 2022), Hodge (31st January 2022), MB (31st January 2022), MudRunnerTD (30th January 2022), pearcey (30th January 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Cuppa check out the last 5 minutes of that vid. The guy is an Ex Helicopter rescue pilot and avid adventurer. He rates the GPS Locator as the goto on land. When he is canoeing he has his life vest around his waste and the GPS locator os permanently clipped to it.

He also rates a PLB or GPS locator over an EPIRB on land as it uses the GPS system bit then scans for tracking signal s from approaching aircraft and will bring it straight in. An EPIRB has to bounce around the globe first and won't hone in. He does say that limitation is any when on a Land Track. On Water in open Ocean an EPIRB excels and is the only way to go.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 30th January 2022 at 11:48 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (31st January 2022), MB (31st January 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting, I carry a PLB1 in my dirtbike riding gear.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

MB (31st January 2022), MudRunnerTD (31st January 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been meaning to get one for a while now…thanks for the reminder.

Good video too btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

MB (31st January 2022), MudRunnerTD (31st January 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, Awesome video thanks Dazman
    Only a couple of years ago too purchased a GME EPIRB for a last line of assistance for solo missions with our youngest daughter adventuring in the Vic High Country.

No doubt there is better/cheaper models out now with GPS enabled functionality but either way her solo missions education was to only perform the 2 stage simple activation under severe removable duress.

Our GO-TO communication device is currently the Iridium- GO when out of mobile reception.

As Cuppa kindly mentioned it lives in the GG’s “Grab Bag” ( my handbag ) and also has ease of connectivity to any mobile phone with Australian invented WiFi including SOS programmability without a handset connected.
    FWIW: Around 20% cheaper to buy than a full Iridium handset but also has a secondary weather App than can be downloaded onto devices prior to departure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (1st February 2022), MudRunnerTD (31st January 2022), PeeBee (31st January 2022), Rossco (31st January 2022)