Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where should i start with?

hi there

I got 1990 long wheel base 5spd y60 with the standard TB42 petrol engine... my brother bought it few months ago and he decided to let it go, so i took it.

The car needs alot of work from what im seeing...

What I have found is:

1) it struggles to start in cold, i have to hold the rpm few seconds, otherwise it will dies, only when its cold.

2) the clutch fan is removed and replaced with an electric fan (they turn when the ignition is on always) i do not like that. I'm thinking to remove the electric fan and put a brand new clutch fan on.

3) after the car idles and the temp raise to normal wich is little below 1/4, I dunno if its normal, it starts to backfire little bit, not alot, but i do hear the back firing.... it doesnt sounds healthy.

4) fast pressure build in the radiator hose, (tried to vent the system, didnt work, no high temp but, the pressure inside the hose is not normal... or maybe normal!)

5) when i drive and turn i hear knocks from the sides, i think its the chasis rubbers.. very noticable sound

6) strong gas smell inside after filling it

7) alot of noise when driving, sounds like all the seals needs to be replaced

8) needs some body work, rear bumper is rusty and bented...

now what have done to it

1) my brother took it to a mechanic (he changed spark plugs and coils) i do not trust that... maybe its not

2) i installed a new thermostat (it was running without it) and changed the coolant fluid with brand new one

3) changed the carb throttle cable

4) cleaned the carb with carb cleaner, did not dissembely it, i think i should do... maybe

5) new tires

6) steering coupling (steering was loose before now okay)

7) it was lifted with rubbers, i removed them, now it drives better

car mods are:
    aftermarket air intake (old and dirty) needs a replacement i couldnt find one, headers, and cats.

I did like the y60 so i decide to put the work in it.... i want to know where to start with it, what to avoid, what to do first...etc, anything will be appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldenBoy For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (14th January 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day mate welcome aboard

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. A lot of forum members skip the intros, so cut and paste all your info on a new thread. It sounds like a head gasket to me, but get it tested before forking out big bucks. The backfire is timing, egr or a defective valve. Or a carby problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.