Thread: Advice needed. HELP

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice needed. HELP

Hi guys, I have a really clean 97 GQ Patrol with 330,000kms 4.2 non turbo. I recently sold my HR Truck and 5T excavator and purchased a 1.7T on a trailer with all the attachments. I presume it will weigh between 2.5 - 3T.

I need to get back to work ASAP but my patrol being NON TURBO doesn’t have the pull power…

Sorry in advance for the long post..

Now I have 3 options:

• I was quoted around 13k for a aftermarket turbo, 11mm pump, FMIC setup, 3” turbo back exhaust, and stainless through the bonnett snorkel set up..
    on top of this my clutch is on its way out so I’d probably be up for (just a guess) another $1500 on that quote?

• I have found a GQ Patrol Cammed LS1 that looks alright not as tidy as mine but I could clean it up (little rust in the gutters and some in rear quarter)… This would have all the tow power I need and I could make that happen fairly fast and get back to work.. problem being I have absolutely NO IDEA about Ls1 motors. This Cammed Ls1 in Particular has been freshly rebuilt with receipts but his odometer isn’t working so I don’t know how many kms on the chassis.. apparently more than 450km.. (I could work out how many roughly on the rebuild motor by the date of rebuild) 🤷*♂️ Also I don’t know how bug the tank is and how many kms per tank / per 100km
    (My GQ takes 120L and I get about 950km per tank)

• Third option is, I have found a 92 GQ Patrol with a rebuilt TD42 Turbo 15,000km P4x4 turbo 12mm pump making 210rwhp on 28 pound with 35” tyres. He can’t supply receipts, but can supply photos of the rebuild.. I could then have someone swap the engines for me, put the turbo engine into my clean GQ and put my NA back into the other one.. (please help with an idea of what this would roughly cost as I have no idea)

So I could put a turbo on my GQ I have now and it will cost roughly 15k..

Buy the Ls1 - fix the bits of rust and have a ready to go powerful car for towing. Sell my GQ and I’ll come out better off money wise..

Or buy the TD42 Turbo - have someone swap the engines over then sell the one I bought with my n/a engine in it and still hopefully come out better off (could be more hassle than it’s worth).

Your help would be greatly appreciated. 🚗💨

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with the cammed LS1, and begin the learning process.

The turbo'd 4.2s tend to have overheating dramas when towing, cavitation in the head etc. (Not that I've ever owned one)
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The LS would have power, probably not as much torque as the 210hp TD. My TD has 220hp and 700nm of torque. Tows quite good. Yeah it does get hot when towing but I’ve done everything known to man to help this and now it will cool quite fast too.
    Head cavitation can be overcome also.
    The LS would be awesome but far worse on fuel though.
    If it were me I’d drop a Cummins in it, 4BT which will give you 1000nm without even breaking a sweat.
    But it can be costly. Also you need to think about engineering for anything that’s not a Nissan motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Rossco (10th January 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice guys. I still haven’t made any moves, but looks like I’m buying a maverick/gq with a Barra 245T in it.. I have been searching like crazy. The Ls1 had too much rust and it might be nice to sell my rig and start fresh

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tonksie For This Useful Post:

MB (21st January 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please do consider if possible @Tonksie Mate business/work wise completely separating the two trucks, work & play
    Your 1.7T hydraulic work weapon atop of a decent steel float trailer with attachments structurally worthy is IMHO beyond any Patrol’s long term capabilities?
    An older/sound say Diahatsu 4.0T type tipper with towball is something that you could maybe park up nightly and enjoy family/personal time out bush with your Patrol of choice on weekends

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: Older tippy worky twucks I believe you may need too do have higher legal payloads & GCM than modern super safety newbies!