Hi all, I’ve had a quick look at existing posts and can’t find what I need to know (but I’m blonde)

I’m the go between for my housemate who is not computer savvy, so pls bear with me if I am not asking the right questions

Garry is looking to find out which scan tool, diagnostic reader or whatever you call them nowadays, to try and find out why he is having problems with starting his Patrol. He replaced the ignition relay (with a second hand one borrowed from a friend) and it did start, but then faltered. He is trying to find out which scan tool to buy.
Have been told OBDII by some people, but others say they are for 2007 upwards. ECUtalk has been mentioned.

The plug under the dash shows 16 pins, but it may possibly only use 14 of those. It’s a tapered plug that needs to be plugged in.

He is at a complete loss at this stage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. He doesn’t want to buy one of these things to find it doesn’t work, as they cannot be returned.

If anyone can think of why this is happening, their thoughts would also be welcome

Cheers and beers
Jenn