Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diff Ratio Change to 5.13 from 4.625

Hi,

I have recently changed out my standard GU/ST 2.8TD 1999 Wagon 4.625 diffs with 5.13 ratio diffs, I am very happy but am currently running 265/70 R16 Goodrich tyres that are due for replacement, I was waiting for them to wear out before i went for larger diameter tyres.

Has anybody done this diff ratio change or can direct me to any tables that give some ratio/tyre size information or even what tyres you fitted if you,ve done the mod.

Brgds/Ian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day Ian Mate,
    As a rough rule of thumb I believe Patrol 5% is a fair guesstimate gear swap ratio/tyre gauge:
    Differentials- 3.9 <> 4.1 (5%) / 4.1 <>4.3 (5%) 4.3 <>4.6 (5%) etc….
    In regards tyre diameters my noggin only comprehends imperial sizes:
    31” <> 33” (5%) / 33” <> 35” (5%) etc….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (26th November 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Everything that MB said. The diff ratio that you have gone for i have not heard of before? What did they come in? going from 4.6s to 5.1s is about a 10% increase (About 2 ratios up). Common to go to 4.6s in TD42 to turn 35s and or 37s and the 4.6s out of the RD28 are well sort after.

Your 265s are about a 30.6" so called a 31" factory tyre.

Check this calculator for research

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

For your information to make the tyre size make sense this is how it is broken down.

265 (Width of the tread)
    70 (Tyre Wall height as a % of the tread width - ie. 70% of 265 = 185.5mm wall height)
    16. (Rim size)

I would expect you to turn 35s easily (315/70R16)
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this one. Just got a tape and measured my tire height in inches and chucked that in as metric tires are all a little different even when the numbers are the same.
    https://www.marks4wd.com/gear-calculator

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dif ratio change and low range reduction are on my dream list.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diff ratio Change

Dear MB,
    I
    Sincere appologies for the late reply, I just found your email in my spam box, I had thought I hadn,t got any replies.

Thanks for the note, I have been doing the calculations and roughly I have made a 9% diff ratio change ..... (thats 2 ratio steps from the typical options avail) I decided to go for the big change and am very happy I did, such a great driver around town now and absolutely epic in the bush so I have no regrets however if i do long road trips (with no offroading planned) the increase infuel burn becomes an issue ( I had originally planned to go bigger wheels with the ratio change to go with my 2" lift but was so happy with the truck with the ratio change I have been in no hurry.

I have been looking at whats out there tyre wise and by current tyre size is 265/70 R16 (30.6" dia) so I roughly worked out the following now:

285/75 (32.8" dia) a 2.2" taller overall dia being about a 7% change
    275/70 (31.2" dia) a .6" taller overall dia being about a 2% change
    265/75 (31.6" dia) a 1.0" taller overall dia being about a 3% change

Therefore the 285/75 is approx .8" wider than I have now and 2.2" in diameter bigger (IE: 1.1" lift) so overall this size seems to be the most obvious choice for long road trips without loosing my full 9% change and more likely will be my choice if just looking to improve fuel burn on long trips however the 265/75 might be a step better in burn but keep closer to the ratio i am enjoying ....... in the end it might end up being 2 sets of wheels.

All very interesting but once I got into the revolutions/mile of tyres my head got dizzy so like most things it might end up just being a bit of trial n error.

Brgds/Ian

G’day Ian Mate,
    As a rough rule of thumb I believe Patrol 5% is a fair guesstimate gear swap ratio/tyre gauge:
    Differentials- 3.9 <> 4.1 (5%) / 4.1 <>4.3 (5%) 4.3 <>4.6 (5%) etc….
    In regards tyre diameters my noggin only comprehends imperial sizes:
    31” <> 33” (5%) / 33” <> 35” (5%) etc….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MD and also sorry for slow reply to this thread , (have a read of my reply to MB above for my findings so far) and to answer question on why 2 steps on ratio change I looked at what Superior Engineering had to offer and I decided to go 2 steps as the standard ratio was just a joke and unless in 4x4 low conditions the driving anround towns was a pain in the arse...... I spoke with the engineering company in Taren point who also agreed that if I went 1 step up and I didn,t like the improvement its an expensive gamble so went 2 steps and (for me) it was the right way to go.... but as my above reply to MB .... its just long distance drives across the outback where 4x4 high is typical the the larger size tyres make more sense just for fuel burn reasons ..... however closer to home I would not change the current gearing/tyre compination.

Brgds/Ian

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Everything that MB said. The diff ratio that you have gone for i have not heard of before? What did they come in? going from 4.6s to 5.1s is about a 10% increase (About 2 ratios up). Common to go to 4.6s in TD42 to turn 35s and or 37s and the 4.6s out of the RD28 are well sort after.

Your 265s are about a 30.6" so called a 31" factory tyre.

Check this calculator for research

https://tiresize.com/tyre-size-calculator/

For your information to make the tyre size make sense this is how it is broken down.

265 (Width of the tread)
    70 (Tyre Wall height as a % of the tread width - ie. 70% of 265 = 185.5mm wall height)
    16. (Rim size)

I would expect you to turn 35s easily (315/70R16)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Engism For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (10th December 2021)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent but sadly doesn,t cover my Patrol 2.8TD

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used your chart and simply transposed the gearbox for a 3.0 litre 5 speed manual (closest to my 2.8TD 5 speed manual) and by the looks my choice of 285/75 would get me very close to original gearing. Thanks again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Engism For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (10th December 2021)