Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

H260 Internals

Hi all,

Has anyone ever changed the H260 diff centre from GU Ute (H260 full floater leafy 4.375:1) to a GU Wagon (H260 semi floater coily 4.11:1)?

My aim is to change my wagon diff from 4.11 to 4.375 but can only find a leaf ute diff.

I realise the axle splines are different so will use my wagon centre in the ute 3rd member. I hope...

Or even a H260 out of a MQ into a GU?
    Last edited by Buster3696; 24th November 2021 at 03:37 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster3696 View Post
    Hi all,

Has anyone ever changed the H260 diff centre from GU Ute (H260 full floater leafy 4.375:1) to a GU Wagon (H260 semi floater coily 4.11:1)?

My aim is to change my wagon diff from 4.11 to 4.375 but can only find a leaf ute diff.

I realise the axle splines are different so will use my wagon centre in the ute 3rd member. I hope...

Or even a H260 out of a MQ into a GU?
    Are you going to strip the Crown Wheel from that 3rd member to install it into the your centre? It would likely be cheaper and easier to install the correct Crown wheel and pinion to suit the new ratios. Obvioulsy you are changing the front too.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mudrunner,

Basically going to put my centre into the ute 3rd member to correct the spline issue and drop the lot into my coil housing.

Not sure what you mean about cheaper and easier to install the correct Crown wheel and pinion, the ute diff is $150

New gear sets are over a grand last time I looked...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Buster3696 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th November 2021)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and I have the front diff out of the ute, so all good for ratio matching.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,451 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster3696 View Post
    Hi Mudrunner,

Basically going to put my centre into the ute 3rd member to correct the spline issue and drop the lot into my coil housing.

Not sure what you mean about cheaper and easier to install the correct Crown wheel and pinion, the ute diff is $150

New gear sets are over a grand last time I looked...
    Yeah cool, so you are going to dismantle the Crown Wheel and Pinion out of the 3rd member and refit it to the other one. Will you have to reset your back lash. I have read it is wise to measure the existing back lash before stripping it and reset it to that backlash or you can end up causing wear as the CR has to rebedded. I fitted one into my GU that was just reset and it whined like a biatch and i had to pull it out again. (Apparently it was a "Good" diff) It had been fully dismantled and just put back together for me to bolt in. I assumed the mechanic reset the backlash to Factory spec but i only did 100kms with it before pulling it out again damn it. Pulling Diffs out in the driveway sux! and dumping near $100 of diff oil and starting again got old.

After i blew my factory diff, swapped out for the Whining diff then remove and refit for the 3rd time i was cooked. The 3rd diff lasted 2 years before it blew damn it. After slugging it out on the driveway a few time i had the diff Fully rebuilt with brand new CR and Pinion and bedded it and ran it in properly and was the best $1600 i spent i reckon.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I’m up on all that. Just needed to know if the internal parts are all swappable.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I think I may have found an MQ H260 4.625.
    Does anyone know what it would be worth?
    Old mate doesn't have a clue and neither do I but seeing as how I'm going to murder it anyway, I'm thinking like 50 bucks? Don't want to rip him off either though...

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and still not sure if the MQ H260 crown wheel will bolt onto a GU H260 center?
    Anyone know?