Thread: Radiator Overflow Bottles

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Radiator Overflow Bottles

Hi Guys

On my 2006 TD42i the Radiator overflow has two containers, one on top with a radiator cap and one underneath with a yellow top, i am assuming the top one is for purging excess fluid when hot then sucking it back when cold, but whats the bottom one for with the yellow top for

Thanks
    2006 Y61 Nissan Patrol TD42Ti Modified Turbo & 3' Exhaust Compliments of United Fuel Injection Perth WA
    Great White Spotties and Bar Light, Ironman Barwork the rest is standard "What more do you need it's Already a Nissan Patrol"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,489 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is for the top tank to draw from to keep it full from my understanding
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

MB (16th November 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Stropp

I just flushed all the old coolant and refilled it with new and had to bleed all the air out and noticed a low and high level on the side of the lower tank.
    Thanks for the info.
    2006 Y61 Nissan Patrol TD42Ti Modified Turbo & 3' Exhaust Compliments of United Fuel Injection Perth WA
    Great White Spotties and Bar Light, Ironman Barwork the rest is standard "What more do you need it's Already a Nissan Patrol"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it's anything like my crd, the top is pressurized, the bottom is the overflow (unpressurized)

I think the top tank goes into the oil cooler but haven't had a proper look.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

7. The Following User Says Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

mojo53 (20th November 2021)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cant be that important, lost mine many tens of thousands of kilometres ago and replaced it with a bundy cap as it was the tightest fitting thing I could find. Hasn't caused me any issues, been meaning to replace it but just keep forgetting!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to wagu89 For This Useful Post:

mojo53 (20th November 2021)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20211118_144252.jpg thats a zd30 but pretty sure set-up is similar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes i am sure the top is pressurized with that style of cap on it and i am pretty sure mine goes to a radiator fitting and i always made sure there was fluid in it, but i never took much notice of the bottom one, and the tank in the picture is exactly the same as mine so if i ever loose the cap for the bottom tank i now know where to get a spare one.
    Last edited by mojo53; 20th November 2021 at 02:42 AM. Reason: adding text

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo53 View Post
    Yes i am sure the top is pressurized with that style of cap on it and i am pretty sure mine goes to a radiator fitting and i always made sure there was fluid in it, but i never took much notice of the bottom one, and the tank in the picture is exactly the same as mine so if i ever loose the cap for the bottom tank i now know where to get a spare one.
    Yes the radiator cap is not a purge cap and the tank is actually the top of the radiator reservoir and part of the pressure system. The second tank is the purge tank typical in cars for 70 years.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (20th November 2021), mojo53 (27th November 2021)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hahaha yeah I bloody hate bundy hey might have to change it for a jacks cap!!! When car got tuned at UFI they had a look over it as a whole and didn't mention it so can't be too bad!!! Those blokes know patrols better than most too!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time i am in Perth i need to visit United fuel for a check up as my glow plugs need attention and i have not been back since they did my Turbo upgrade about 12 years or more because i did not need to as everything has run great ever since, but maybe a tune up and look over won't hurt.
    And your right a jacks cap will look better.