Thread: GQ Patrol TB42

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question GQ Patrol TB42

I've got a GQ patrol which was a gas and petrol hybrid, we've since removed the whole gas system to make it petrol only. I've replaced the starter motor, Carby, Battery, Spark plugs, Spark leads, Fluids and turned the ignition system from points to electric with a new ignition coil and whole new distributor as part of this conversion kit i bought.

Having a issue with the engine turning over, the starter engages, I get spark from the distributor and is set to top dead centre.

Main problem is the car wont turn over and pistons refuse to fire.

Unsure if its compression or timing because it gets fuel fine.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Head over to the intros and say g'day.

Make doubly sure that the leads are fitted in the correct firing order and rotation. Is it a strong spark? It should jump to the block over 3 to 5mm. Try giving it a squirt of Start Ya Bastard. Yes that is the product's real name. If it fires and tries to run then the problem is fuel. Also if you have been cranking the engine without it running over a long period, Fuel might have washed off the oil in the bore. This reduces compression to a point it wont fire. You fix that by squirting a smidge of oil in through the spark plug hole. Not too much as you don't want to cause hydrolocking. If it was running gas over long periods of time the carby ( assuming it is carby not fuel injected) rubber components dry out. It might be time for a carby kit to be done.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.