OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Radiator fan not working properly.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    The ZD hubs are sealed. Only the TD hubs can be re-oiled.

As for the OP. Check both radiator and condenser to see if they are blocked or not. Air flow is key, especially at low speeds.
    Thanks, mate. Good to learn something new. What a bastard having it sealed. I wonder if drilling a set of holes, draining the oil, and fitting bolts through the hub is a possible Quick Fix?
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    There is a fix for this, rebuilding the hub, using a silicon oil from Toyota. I have tried searching for a thread that deals with it. Hopefully someone sees this thread and can point you in the right direction.
    I just happened to be lookin at it on patrolapart ...
    https://patrolapart.com.au/product/t...n-patrol-gq-gu

Edit: just read the post above. I've drilled holes in things to drain/replace fluid before (on motorbikes).
    Last edited by pollenface; 18th October 2021 at 11:29 PM.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    The AC system has a pressure switch that safeguards against too low/too high pressure. It cuts the AC before damage can be done.

Has your dashboard been completely removed to replace the "smashed evaporator"?
    I don't know if the dashboard was removed I left it one day, picked up the next. The AC guy didn't mention the pressure switch, just told me that the pressure "smashed" the evaporator and will continue to "smash" other AC components until fixed.

I did find a clip on Youtube how to easily check a viscous fan. Take 4-5 pages from a newspaper, roll them up and try to stop the fan with the roll just after you've started the car. The fan should be easy to stop. Then idle until the engine has reached max temp. When trying to stop the fan now, the newspaper should be ripped to shreds and the fan impossible to stop. This didn't happen to me.... the oil has obviously leaked out.

I did find some oil on a plug below the water pump, see attached pic. Could it have anything to do with the fan oil or totally unrelated?

Thanks everyone who replied.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pete57 View Post
    I don't know if the dashboard was removed I left it one day, picked up the next. The AC guy didn't mention the pressure switch, just told me that the pressure "smashed" the evaporator and will continue to "smash" other AC components until fixed.

I did find a clip on Youtube how to easily check a viscous fan. Take 4-5 pages from a newspaper, roll them up and try to stop the fan with the roll just after you've started the car. The fan should be easy to stop. Then idle until the engine has reached max temp. When trying to stop the fan now, the newspaper should be ripped to shreds and the fan impossible to stop. This didn't happen to me.... the oil has obviously leaked out.

I did find some oil on a plug below the water pump, see attached pic. Could it have anything to do with the fan oil or totally unrelated?

Thanks everyone who replied.

Pete
    Drive the car to get it to temp. Fluctuating revs will assist it reaching the desired temp and with oil flow through the vanes of the hub.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Drive the car to get it to temp. Fluctuating revs will assist it reaching the desired temp and with oil flow through the vanes of the hub.
    Yes, did so and still fan is still not working properly. Definitely bad.
    Any idea from the pic what that oil leak might be? (what is that plug between the crankshaft and the compressor?)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pete57 View Post
    Yes, did so and still fan is still not working properly. Definitely bad.
    Any idea from the pic what that oil leak might be? (what is that plug between the crankshaft and the compressor?)
    Yeah not sure what that is, not even the parts catalogue tells me. It does look like its leaking from that plug though. Maybe clean it up and monitor it??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12