Thread: Patrol Just Stops after sitting overnight

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Patrol Just Stops after sitting overnight

My patrol is a Sep 2007, 3.0Lt CRD Wagon.

Lately, every now and then after the vehicle sits in the garage overnight or somewhere for an extended period, the car starts and then just stops, as if it ran out of fuel. Sometimes it just restarts and sometimes I have to prime it. In monitoring this situation, it is usually happening when the fuel is below half a tank. After priming it there is no problem running around town, then it my not happen again for a day or two.

I first thought it was the fuel pump, then that would explain how it runs ok around town.

The mechanics at Diesel Power Service determined that air was leaking into the system somewhere.

The mechanics have check/replace some of the old fuel hoses and connections, the problem still persists occasionally. The mechanic search his history book and said he had a problem similar to this a while back. The cause was determined to be the pickup tube in the fuel tank which he says is in two halves? A top half and bottom half connected by a gasket. I thought the fuel pickup in the tank was a straight tube. Anyway, they said that the gasket can deteriorate between the split of the tube and air can get in that way. My assumption is if it is in the tank, that would be a lot of air and I would have been able to just prime it or have further trouble driving it around town.

Another source from a friend suggested it may be the primer pump as it can get hairline cracks that you cant see. The primer pump has never been replace in the life of the vehicle. So I replaced the primer pumps with a genuine part from Nissan ($200.00) . This looked like the solution because the problem didn't occur for five days. Then is happened again. So I am back to the pickup tube which will require dropping the tank.

Has anyone had this type of problem with their Patrol especially those around the 2007 era? If so, what was your solution to the problem? Have I overlooked something?

Any solutions, advice or direction is greatly appreciated as I am at a wits end.

Thanks everyone.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know if there is a backflow valve in the system to stop fuel flowing back in to the tank?

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i haven't done this , but i have read that some people have replaced the flexible hose between the fuel filter and the injector pump temporarily with clear hose . this allows you to tell weather the problem is before or after that point . sometimes the leaks at flexible hoses are not because of the hose but the type of clamps and how they are done up . i don't know if the fuel tank pick ups are different from model to model but if you down load the manuel you should be able to workout if the pickup tube is 1 or 2 peice.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have dealt with this in my GUIV TD42T. Took me a year to fault find it. I was preparing to have a new fuel pump fitted at $3k and by accident found the problem the week before it was booked in.

I found a split steal tube fuel line on top of the drivers side reR spring tower. A stone had rubbed through it and split it. Now this did not leak as such, instead it leaked air in. I would die at idle, occasionally at a set of lights. I woyld have to hand prime to restart. So frustrating.

I found it by accident one day when I filled the car with fuel Ns then parked it at the supermarket in the hot sun, because the tanks where full as the fuel expanded it leaked out that split instead of simply letting air in.. letting air in would basically unprime the pump.

I am going to vote for an Air In Leak for sure mate. You could consider fitting a 12v lift pump to help draw the fuel into the pump. This could completely fix the symptoms and therefore the problem.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, sounds like air sneaking into the lines somewhere between the pump and tank also experienced on ageing delivery system TD42’s & 6.5 shed queens.
    Talcum powder (puff puff - hydroscopic substance) is an old trick to pinpoint moisture leaks.
    A diesel line pin hole/loose clamp/ filter seal may only become evident after the system is shut down at night…..back flowing, off forwards pressure if that makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) Wash/degrease your truck/s out/in/under everywhere etc….

2) After complete bone drying time (puff puff) over suspected areas.

3) Utilise a blower (petrol/240v/cordless…whatever) to rid the test sites of dry powder.

4) Hopefully the tell-tale moisture sodden dough is left over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @lobbylloyd check for those diesel weeps but also look at fuel filter sealing rings, at the top of filter - black plastic T bar fitting(pull clip and withdraw fitting) and at bottom of filter - water sensor (rotate sensor anticlockwise 1/4 turn and pull out). I only use genuine fuel filter.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a very similar problem - like old mate said put a piece of clear hose between the fuel filter housing / primer pump outlet & the injector pump - I nearly guarantee you’ll see little air bubbles , it take sweet FA air to upset the injector pump - like 1 or 2 bubbles every few seconds it’ll play up . Then you just have to find where but at least that’ll tell you it’s from there back - not your injector pump like so many places want to replace without doing simple problem solving like this .i replaced all my rubber hoses from the tank forward , check & DOUBLE check all hose clamps on the barbed fittings are TIGHT - that’s where my air was getting in . Also years prior had air getting in through the primer & replaced it but as you said you’ve done that my moneys on the fuels lines . I also put a carter lift pump in at the back to push fuel to the injector pump rather than relying on it to suck it up .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprock For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 515 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    & when I said barbed fittings- they’re from when I plumbed the lift pump into it , from memory the standard Nissan steel fuel pipes just have a lip that rubber hose goes over then you put the hose clamp on that .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sprock For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd October 2021)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    by pass the fuel filter using an in line filter for a few days. This will determine if the filter head is leaking in air or not.