Thread: Disconnecting the Y62 Shunt

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Disconnecting the Y62 Shunt

So here is the first Mod you should do to your Y62 if you intend to install a second battery. Lithium or Gel, makes no difference, this needs to be sorted.

The Negative Shunt is factory fitted as part of the smart Alternator to turn down the charging voltage from 14v after start up to a tickle charge of as low as 12.2V. A Lithium or Gel Battery does not like this at all. Removing the shunt let's the Alternator produce 14V all day.

This is as easy as it gets and will take you about 1 minute...

All you need is your glasses on and a small flat head screw driver and a 10mm socket or spanner.

So the Shunt is attached to the side of the negative battery terminal. Right here.

First disconnect the negative terminal with the 10mm socket and put something over the battery post to stop it arcing while you work.

Lift the terminal off and you can see the shunt.

Use the screw driver to leaver under the crazy little clip on the side. This was a bit of a bustard but it got done.

Pull that sucker off.

Then shove that sucker down the side of the battery and forget it was ever there. Never to be spoken of again.

Happy Days!!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Avo (19th September 2021), Cremulator (19th September 2021), MB (19th September 2021), mudski (19th September 2021), Rossco (19th September 2021), V8Y62 (8th January 2024)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I reckon I'm gunna learn sheep loads from you aye....

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th September 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Instead of levering off the top of the retaining clip with a screwdriver, push in on the bottom of the retaining clip and it pulls straight off.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (20th September 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Instead of levering off the top of the retaining clip with a screwdriver, push in on the bottom of the retaining clip and it pulls straight off.
    hahaha. cheers mate. I did look for somewhere to push but im going blind. It got done, push makes way more sense.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies in advance but can't resist the opportunity. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    hahaha. cheers mate. I did look for somewhere to push but im going blind. It got done, push makes way more sense.
    Probably too hard with sausage fingers anyway. . . . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Avo (20th September 2021), Cremulator (20th September 2021), MudRunnerTD (20th September 2021), Plasnart (20th September 2021), Winnie (20th September 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Apologies in advance but can't resist the opportunity. . . Probably too hard with sausage fingers anyway. . . . .

Hahahaha Shit Head.

Lets face it mate! I coulda used an Angle Grinder! Would still got it done!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Rossco (20th September 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Apologies in advance but can't resist the opportunity. . . Probably too hard with sausage fingers anyway. . . . .

Keep em coming i say....

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

Rossco (20th September 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI, When i researched this initially with my S5, i read rare reports of some people getting fault lights by "removing" the shunt plug as you describe, to solve it, it was suggested they remove the shunt from the battery terminal connection, but leave it hanging (cable tied) but still connected to its plug so the car ECU still believes it is there.

Personally ive had zero issues with my shunt connected (since March 2020) a correctly set up second battery should run a DC-DC charger anyway, i think problems arise because people attach stuff to the battery terminals as they normally would with old school cars, this bypasses the shunt and so the extra load is not compensated for, but if all added loads are connected to a body earth (and not directly to the battery terminal) the shunt will see the load, and increase output from the Alternator respectively.

The ultimate decision for shunt i left to my Auto Electrician, he said defiantly leave the shunt as per factory, my second battery can still get fed about 39Amps charge at idle through the DC-DC, and runs my fridge 24/7 (have a thread on it in this section somewhere)
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (29th September 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    FYI, When i researched this initially with my S5, i read rare reports of some people getting fault lights by "removing" the shunt plug as you describe, to solve it, it was suggested they remove the shunt from the battery terminal connection, but leave it hanging (cable tied) but still connected to its plug so the car ECU still believes it is there.

Personally ive had zero issues with my shunt connected (since March 2020) a correctly set up second battery should run a DC-DC charger anyway, i think problems arise because people attach stuff to the battery terminals as they normally would with old school cars, this bypasses the shunt and so the extra load is not compensated for, but if all added loads are connected to a body earth (and not directly to the battery terminal) the shunt will see the load, and increase output from the Alternator respectively.

The ultimate decision for shunt i left to my Auto Electrician, he said defiantly leave the shunt as per factory, my second battery can still get fed about 39Amps charge at idle through the DC-DC, and runs my fridge 24/7 (have a thread on it in this section somewhere)
    I have fitted the DCS80 Lithium under the bonnet and was advised that that shunt would reduce the output of the Alternator after initial start up to put it out od the optimal charging range of the Lithium. I will be installing a DCDC in the back for the accessories too for sure.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

04OFF (29th September 2021)