Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 13,509 Times in 6,604 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Disconnecting the Y62 Shunt

So here is the first Mod you should do to your Y62 if you intend to install a second battery. Lithium or Gel, makes no difference, this needs to be sorted.

The Negative Shunt is factory fitted as part of the smart Alternator to turn down the charging voltage from 14v after start up to a tickle charge of as low as 12.2V. A Lithium or Gel Battery does not like this at all. Removing the shunt let's the Alternator produce 14V all day.

This is as easy as it gets and will take you about 1 minute...

All you need is your glasses on and a small flat head screw driver and a 10mm socket or spanner.

So the Shunt is attached to the side of the negative battery terminal. Right here.

First disconnect the negative terminal with the 10mm socket and put something over the battery post to stop it arcing while you work.

Lift the terminal off and you can see the shunt.

Use the screw driver to leaver under the crazy little clip on the side. This was a bit of a bustard but it got done.

Pull that sucker off.

Then shove that sucker down the side of the battery and forget it was ever there. Never to be spoken of again.

Happy Days!!

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Avo (19th September 2021), Cremulator (19th September 2021), MB (19th September 2021), mudski (19th September 2021), Rossco (19th September 2021), V8Y62 (8th January 2024)