Thread: TB42e No Spark

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TB42e No Spark

Hey Everyone, a friend of mine has a 1994 GQ Patrol with a tb42e engine. Sometimes his car will run fine for 5 minutes or so then it will cut out. after investigating it always comes down to no spark. sometimes his car wont start all day and other times it will run on and off all day.

Parts already replaced
    Coil
    Crank angle sensor
    dizzy cap and rotor button done about 12 months ago
    ignition module
    maf sensor
    spark plug leads also done 12 months ago and have been tested and are fine.

Things tested
    There is power at the coil and ignition module
    checked all earths we can find
    it was changed over to gas and petrol but we removed all the gas wiring thinking it might have been affecting it, we think we have done it right.
    no spark after the distributor or before it directly from the coil.

our local auto electrician wants nothing to do with it and stands by it being a sensor, even though we think we have replaced all sensors that affect the spark, please let me know if I have missed any.

starting to get lost in it all so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It could be a faulty brand new part. Is there anyone you can temporarily swap out parts with to check it out without spending cash? Double check the wiring, especially any crimped lugs or scotch locks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    It could be a faulty brand new part. Is there anyone you can temporarily swap out parts with to check it out without spending cash? Double check the wiring, especially any crimped lugs or scotch locks.
    This is a scotch lock. They have a tendency to fail in adverse conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    We have gone over all crimped ends and pulled on them and replaced any loose ones, it never foxed the issue, l didn't come.across and scotch locks though. I found a post where someone had a similar issue which turned out to be his ecm relay and I messaged my mate last night to swap it out, I'll let you know if we have any luck. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is also a wire in the side of the distributor. I had an issue with that on my TB42E. Same issues.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When i had the same problem many years ago it was a bad ECU earth. The ECU has two earth wires that connect to the engine around the intake manifold. At the time, I replaced the lugs and cleaned everything up around the connections and never had the problem again in over ten years of ownership.

A clue was the coil got very hot if the ignition was left on for while. I actually had a coil burn out in the early stages of diagnosis.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay thanks for the advice everyone, the issue has been solved. The wires that connect to the crank position sensor where rooted about 200mm from the distributor.

After finally getting it running it was running rough and upon further investigation found water in the oil, looks like its done a head or head gasket. It got hot once when my mate was driving to work and i believe he has melted the crank position sensor wires and done a head at the same time, poor guys finally got it running to find it needs some more work. at least its a mechanical issue now not an electrical one.

Thanks again for the help guys!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kruz For This Useful Post:

mudnut (10th September 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Glad you got it going. Thanks for the feedback, as it might help someone else.