Thread: Cross country intercooler install

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cross country intercooler install

Gday guys
    Who has installed a cross country ultimate intercooler on their factory intercooled 4.2?
    I’m currently doing mine and a little confused. I had already removed the whole egr system including all vaccum lines (I think there’s one left from the fuel pump that I capped after removing the egr).
    The cross country kit comes with a blanking plate with a barb fitted to it where the egr system goes into the inlet manifold. Currently mine is just blanked. The cross country kit also comes with a small rubber cap to block a boost line.
    Iv removed my old intercooler which had a line running from the top of the fuel pump to the back of the intercooler (boost comp line?) am I meant to re run that line to the barb on the egr blank on the inlet manifold? What’s the little rubber cap for?
    The intercooler it’s self looks fantastic but the instructions supplied are very poor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    TJM BullBar and bar work, Light bar & spotlights, Airtech snorkel, tradie rack, blocked egr, 2inch lift on 33s and a 3 inch exhaust to go with it all.
    Plenty more to come!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi mate. It's been 5+ years since I fitted mine. I honestly can't remember nitty gritty details, but I do remember gutting a shitload of vac and/or boost lines.
    When I received my kit, they sent me a wrong EGR removal kit, so I had to improvise as I couldn't wait a week for the correct part to arrive.

The way mine is now (I'll have to triple check later as the car is not with me), there is a boost line from the intercooler to the pump and my gauge is tee-ed of that. Again I "think" thats how it is.
    I'll be able to help / check / take some photos for you later on today.
    2005 TD42TI

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (8th August 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Hodge, that would be bloody fantastic if you could. I’ll add a few more photos now so it makes a little more sense.
    This is what I removed from the egr system and how it looks now..

This is the line that’s currently blocked off runs to the side of the fuel pump and I think went to the butterfly valve on the old intercooler from memory

As you can see in the original photos the old intercooler had a boost line running to the top of the fuel pump, pictured here...

I’m only guessing that this line should now run to this blank that gets bolted onto the inlet manifold?

I will call them tomorrow but would love to get it sorted today. Not sure why there just isn’t a point welded onto the new intercooler, would make more sense then.

Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 11th August 2021 at 08:32 AM. Reason: fixed layout
    2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    TJM BullBar and bar work, Light bar & spotlights, Airtech snorkel, tradie rack, blocked egr, 2inch lift on 33s and a 3 inch exhaust to go with it all.
    Plenty more to come!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a good guess to me. If the original boost hose for the pump compensator is no longer there then you can take it from the manifold with that plate & barb.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (8th August 2021)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Morning mate. Huge apologies for not getting back when I thought I would. Call out work throwing curve balls at me. I haven't been able to see the car.

That photo you have or the whole setup on the ground. I've pretty much turfed that whole lot from memory, including the aircon idle up solenoid and associated bits.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (9th August 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Morning mate. Huge apologies for not getting back when I thought I would. Call out work throwing curve balls at me. I haven't been able to see the car.

That photo you have or the whole setup on the ground. I've pretty much turfed that whole lot from memory, including the aircon idle up solenoid and associated bits.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks mate, I did the same. All sorted now. Hole cut in bonnet today, just gotta put it back on and good to go!

2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    Plenty more to come!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your final usage needs DP Mate it might be well worth considering making bracket allowances for a decent sized ‘pull’ (reversed polarity) standard thermatic fan underneath before final install if their top kit doesn’t already include?
    Highway speeds with big oncoming airflow old mates swear by Cross Country’s top mounts and huge scoops but they’ll all openly admit of heat soak rising engine heat issues at low to slow crawling speeds out in the mountains without electrical fan assistance pulling air through the IC…..even in summer city traffic jams too etc…

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (13th August 2021), jff45 (11th August 2021)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate. Again, so sorry for not returning earlier. Been a heck of a week and will finally get to see the car later this arvo, but sounds like you got it nailed .

Few things I'll mention. You probably noticed already but, that large cooler has a huge internal air gushing sound.
    First time I drove it after installing it, I could've sworn there was a hose leaking massive air somewhere... But it was only the air rush through the cores.

As mentioned , I imagine your kit arrived with underslung fan ??? Mine did.
    Solenoid trigger meant to be directly onto IGN, but I I put a switch in between so I can manually toggle it on and off as it doesn't need to be on unless crawling. Some put a temp switch somewhere.
    2005 TD42TI

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (13th August 2021), MB (14th August 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks fellas
    MB, it came with a single fan underneath to help with slow speeds/heat soak. The initial reason I purchased it was to aid with the heat soak as when I’m towing the boat she really suffers from heat soak. Particularly with slow uphill winding roads!

Cheers hodge, I’m yet to wire the fan up but thinking I’ll go to a switch like you said, rather than having it run all the time when the car is on as it doesn’t really need to be running all the time.

Haha, I did notice the wooshing sound of air strait away and wondered if something had come loose!

The only thing I think I might change on the kit is the hose clamps. I’m thinking I’ll switch them to the T bolt ones just to be sure nothing blows off.

Now that it’s all done I’m thinking of upgrading the turbo

Picture of it all finished.

2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    Plenty more to come!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dpetersen For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (13th August 2021), Hodge (13th August 2021), MB (14th August 2021), rusty_nail (13th August 2021)