OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Help needed. Dash top removal 2003 y61.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help needed. Dash top removal 2003 y61.

HELLO.

I have been detailing up my 2003 Y61 TB48 manual. Getting it ready to sell. It is a great Patrol which I bought new. The dash lights were not working so I fixed theat. While I had that out I decided to continue to remove the dash assy as the dark grey top was starting to show its age. So I have got it to the stage where everything is out except I have not removed the steering wheel. ....I think the airbag is no t really a problem but have never removed a wheel with a "clockspring" I have read a little but just can't find any videos of dash in-out proceedure or steering wheel removal specific to the model. I really need help as I have hit the wall.

Cheers.
    Nick

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a difficult job. I've just recently removed my dash to change the heater core and posted a few pics of what's involved.
    Disconnect batteries first and turn your headlights on to drain anything residual or leave it for 10 minutes or so.
    Remove top & bottom plastic steering column covers. I assume here that lower dash section above pedals has been removed.
    Remove covers (or controls if fitted) each side of wheel to expose the 2 x TX50 bolts. These are Torx bolts with a safety lug in the centre so require a hollow torx key. Once removed, the airbag can be lifted off and disconnected. Then disconnect the clockspring plugs and undo the steering wheel nut.
    There are 2 x M8 threads for a puller. I just placed a flat steel plate across with 2 holes and screwed 2 bolts down until it popped.

You'll see that the clockspring has a locating lug on the left that goes into a hole in the steering wheel. I just duct taped the clockspring so it couldn't turn while I was working on stuff. See pics in my thread.
    I also removed the wiper & headlight controls so I didn't break them off while removing the top dash cover.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body