Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2005 zd30 into a 2003 patrol

HI Guys

Had a misadventure recently where a glow plug tip came off, damaged an injector and burnt a hole in #2 piston.

Thought I had won the lottery, when I was able to source a used motor for a couple of grand. Was even able to to take it for a drive before old mate pulled it out of his car in preparation to fitting a BMW m57.

Pulled my motor out, and fitted the new one. Started piece of cake and idled quietly and smoothly.

However ........ test drive revealed serious limp mode issues at anything from 8psi boost to 18psi boost.

If I control boost with the throttle it will run for a bit longer without limp.

Checked all fuel lines for leaks. Checked hand pump on filter seems OK.

Tested inter-cooler for leaks ... all ok.

Replaced MAF with genuine Nissan one (ouch) no different, but I now have a genuine Nissan spare MAF.

Was told today that the motor is a 09/2005 motor and the injector pump is incompatible for my ECU ( that is a 04/2005 as I fried my 2003 one .... long story).

The other thing is the donor vehicle was a manual, and mine is an auto, and I don't know if that would affect anything.

I have a new injector pump on my shonky motor that I could transplant, but I would prefer to keep that with the other motor if I can, as it has only done about 50,000kms and having scoped the cylinder it appears to be salvageable with just a new piston and rings.

Any help I can get from anyone would be greatly appreciated, as I ready to burn it!!
    Last edited by Thevvy; 19th July 2021 at 11:55 PM.