User Tag List

Thread: GQ windscreen seal leak

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GQ windscreen seal leak

Gday blokes, just wondering if anyone’s had dramas with non genuine windscreen seals in their gq’s? i used the $99 one from patrolapart as i couldn’t justify 300 for genuine, had the screen replaced by o’brien’s and it’s now leaking in the same spot not even 3 months later.
    any ideas? not going to use sikaflex or sealant cause i like my car rust free, cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I found the radius of the corners of the glass were cut too far in and leaked. I used a couple of bits of 1-2mm flat plastic to lift the rubber seal so I could pump a small amount of black sikaflex in.

That was back in 2012-13. I have seen no rust appear. The sikaflex is in the channel between the glass and rubber, so does not to touch the body.

Did they replace the seal?
    Last edited by mudnut; 18th July 2021 at 02:12 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I found the radius of the corners of the glass were cut too far in and leaked. I used a couple of bits of 1-2mm flat plastic to lift the rubber seal so I could pump a small amount of black sikaflex in.

That was back in 2012-13. I have seen no rust appear. The sikaflex is in the channel between the glass and rubber, so does not to touch the body.

Did they replace the seal?
    yeah they did replace the seal, i’ve been told by a lot of people (including patrolapart) not to put sikaflex or silicone anywhere in the seal because it blocks drain holes and can cause rust due to water sitting on the window frame behind the seal

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you sure it is the seal? I remember reading something about bits of plastic that sometimes aren't replaced when the inlet vent between the bonnet and windscreen is taken off and refitted.