Thread: Thoughts!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts!

I am the proud owner of an amazing MK turbo diesel wagon. It has a 5 speed and working air conditioning. It is like new! The only issues I have with it are the exhaust manifold gasket needs replacing and then the first exhaust bolt broke while undoing it so I put it back together and it is quite loud. It has to be fixed because too much exhaust leaks and it has lost some power; must be lack of turbo spool. It will also need injectors and glow plugs soon. I tried to remove the thermostat and again the first bolt I undone broke.
    The problem is now that if two bolts broke from two attempts then I can imagine more breaking as I attempt to replace the gasket, so I have no other choice than to remove the head to easy-out the broken bolts. The cost of all this work and parts I would imagine to be at least $1500. Should I repair or put a Chev/Holden V8 in it?
    Last edited by Karu; 24th July 2011 at 11:51 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome, mate. If you drop by the introduction section, and tell us a little about yourself. Then I'm sure someone will help.
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome aboard mate enjoy your stay,if it was me id stick with what you have,as aposed to cost
    unless your going to do it your self

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the introduction page but every time I fill out http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...do=editprofile it returns with "Registration Required Information - All fields are required". And I can only understand so much and most of what it asks me I cannot fill out because it doesn't apply to me. I have been trying too many times, it is still sitting on my screen causing me frustration.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Karu View Post
    I tried the introduction page but every time I fill out http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...do=editprofile it returns with "Registration Required Information - All fields are required". And I can only understand so much and most of what it asks me I cannot fill out because it doesn't apply to me. I have been trying too many times, it is still sitting on my screen causing me frustration.
    G/day Karu.

Did you provide an active email address when you signed up here?

When you sign up to the forum we send you an email which asks you to click on the link provided & this link takes you to the forum & completes your Registration.
    If you haven't received an email from us post back here & we can manually register you our end...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am the proud owner of an amazing MK turbo diesel wagon. It has a 5 speed and working air conditioning. It is like new! The only issues I have with it are the exhaust manifold gasket needs replacing and then the first exhaust bolt broke while undoing it so I put it back together and it is quite loud. It has to be fixed because too much exhaust leaks and it has lost some power; must be lack of turbo spool. It will also need injectors and glow plugs soon. I tried to remove the thermostat and again the first bolt I undone broke.
    The problem is now that if two bolts broke from two attempts then I can imagine more breaking as I attempt to replace the gasket, so I have no other choice than to remove the head to easy-out the broken bolts. The cost of all this work and parts I would imagine to be at least $1500. Should I repair or put a Chev/Holden V8 in it?
    Well I would stick with your SD33T as you will have more low down torque, than what a V8 would give you. You should be able to purchase a full rebuild kit inc: liners, pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, for apprx $1500.00 then get all put together. Injectors approx $420.00. Why do you think your glow plugs need replacing? Batteries are usually the weak link, most people assume it's the glow plugs. Get a good marine deep cycle with big CCA.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldnt remove the head or rebuild the motor ????, unless absolutely necessary
    The head should be able to be fixed still on the motor
    The exhaust broken stud,once manifold removed should be done
    Goin a V8 , unless your talkin an injected 5L, at a minimum your wasting your money
    It will cost alot more to do than you think
    SD33T will lunch a 253, and with a touch more boost will give a carb 308 a good run
    Goin the 8,at least 5 grand

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MQ MAD For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (25th July 2011), patch697 (25th July 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure why thats happening mate, I just changed something on your setting so let us know how you go now....Cheers!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    Well I would stick with your SD33T as you will have more low down torque, than what a V8 would give you. You should be able to purchase a full rebuild kit inc: liners, pistons, rings, bearings, gaskets, for apprx $1500.00 then get all put together. Injectors approx $420.00. Why do you think your glow plugs need replacing? Batteries are usually the weak link, most people assume it's the glow plugs. Get a good marine deep cycle with big CCA.

Tim
    $1,500 is a very good price, I don't think I could do my 4 cyl 970cc Suzuki Carry engine for that. I use nano-technology in my oil that not only cuts friction to 000.3 but also rebuilds the engine and a nano-technology that is put in the fuel (diesel and petrol, 1ml per 10 litres) that is liquid steel that also rebuilds the engine. But, I was reading something here about how much more enjoyable the MK is to drive with the V8 and on another site how the TD27T is supposed to be more powerful that the 33T. My mechanic told me that the only way to remove the broken head stud was to remove the head so I was comparing the cost. I only just purchased this Patrol for $2000 and it blew white/grey smoke on start up for 50 seconds, but since using the fuel additive it lasts 5 seconds, so I considered it to be glow plugs. This is my first diesel, although I bought a Nissan Terrano in excellent condition for $461 (The owner accepted all I had in my pocket, he had bought it for $19,000 straight from Japan and immediately spent another $20,000+ only for his wife not to drive it, so he was getting her back) and I sold it the next day for $4,000. I actually bought this to re-sell, but I love it far too much to ever consider that now.
    You are suggesting that the head does not need to be removed to remove the exhaust stud? The decision is a no brainer then!
    Last edited by Karu; 25th July 2011 at 04:45 PM.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glow plugs about $100 a set
    Can be a bit dearer , depends where from
    IF youve paid 2K for it , on the assumption to re sell
    I wouldnt be rippin the head of or condemplating any major motor work
    $ 1500 for a rebuild kit as Tim mentioned is exclusive of any machine work or labour
    If the head has a crack, it mite it mite not,while its of youd go that far with an x ray to check
    You have a hard time finding one
    Getting the head all rebuilt , about $800,thats what a bloke in perth just paid for a one
    Cost ,once you pull these motors down , a rebuild cost can escalate outta this world
    One bloke up sunny coast brissie , has spent in excess of 3500 on his motor alone
    The motor in my ute an SD33 n/a done a head gasket,well had water in the sump
    It was quicker,easier to drop an SD33T in there , that i know is good than pull the motor down for a "Wonder what thisll cost me" rebuild
    There great when there running good, when they turn bad ,the wallet can cop a hidin

Hard start ,as Tim mentions check the battery
    Winter time and a lazy,half dead battery are not friends
    Diesels take ALOT of Cold Cranking Amps
    The SD33 are a touch over 20:1 compression ratio
    Last edited by MQ MAD; 25th July 2011 at 05:26 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MQ MAD For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (25th July 2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast