Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for Fraser Island ?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good advice people, might have to get up there myself soon. Sounds like a fun spot.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's cursed every time I try and go some one dies and stops the trip! well it happened twice so ain't keen to try again haha would love to go though. Is frazer better than moreton or straddie?
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macca86 View Post
    Is frazer better than moreton or straddie?
    They all offer different things, so It depends on how you look at it, and what you want from your trip, Fraser is the largest of the sand islands and has the best lakes, it also has a ship wreck and creeks and lots to see, the problem is in its size, it takes such a long time (and fuel if you have a 4.5L like me) to travel around the island, especially in peak times with all the tour buses/traffic on the small tracks.

Moreton is just as beutiful as fraser, it is a lot smaller so you spend less time driving to get where you want to go, it has ship wrecks galore, and the lighthouse is a much easier drive than the one on fraser, Moreton is a bit harder to get to (or more expesive i should say) so can turn people off the idea, but then some people love it most, as it generally has less crowds.

Straddie is the island i visit most, it has heaps of things to see and do , easy for me to get to, loads of accomodation, great beaches and some great tracks, a great family place.

You cant go wrong going to any of the above, if i was travelling from interstate or overseas and had to choose "one", id say go to fraser, a lot of that is to do with its status as a "place to go", not because its incredibly better than the others, frasers attributes are very commercialized compared to the other islands, so it often appears more appealing, personally ive found some of the best spots can fast loose appeal when you have to share them with 500,000 tourists.

It can also depend, on what you like to do, how much time and money you have for the trip, Best if you can get to all three islands at some stage, and dont forget about Rainbow beach/double island point as well, and i spose bribie island once you've seen the rest.

<a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

fixer982 (25th July 2011), macca86 (23rd July 2011), snicko (23rd July 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moreton is our personal favorite - for all the things Steve listed - beautiful location, not over populated with tourists (the beaches and tracks I mean - the resort is chocka block with them, but even the beach bar there is great). You can only get beer on Friday arvo and over the weekend at Kooringal pub now (very southern tip of the island), but what a spot - you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere, yet if you cross the carpark and have a squiz through the trees, you can see Brisbane CBD across the bay!!!!

Fraser can get on your nerves if you're not good with crowds and after assisting your fourth or fifth tourist who has bogged a hire car, it tends to become frustrating and loses it's gloss ...

Straddle is certainly more "urban beach" feel but is more suited to family get aways where the missus wants to shop, you want to drink, the kids want to play and go to safe beaches within eyeshot of your accommodation etc ... Moreton and Fraser are NOT for swimming on the ocean sides - way too many noahs for that!!

Bribie is well ... boring ... lmao ... it's heavily populated and there are few times when the one section of beach you can drive on is not full of vehicles - the inland track is something that you do once, and never really want to do again, however Poverty Creek campsite on the western side off the inland track isn't a bad camping spot (not great as nothing to do but drink and fish - good for me and the missus, not so for the kids!!! lol).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigrig For This Useful Post:

Silver (26th July 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice summary scotty, although yes bribie is somewhat boring, and very lame compared to the other places talked about, i still like to go there, my kids love to go play in the second cutting washout, plus i enjoy waiting for the incomming tide to watch the "un educated" drive through deep water.

Ive seen heaps of cars come to grief , such as this fellow in a brand new (less than 2 months old) GT Forester........

(first pic by my son)

and this kia..

This guy got though ok....

Its great for taking pics there too.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

Silver (26th July 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice work guys cool pics too! there's another forum trip away idea or idea's
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
    Whoever cannot take care of themselves without that law is both.
    For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,
    'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, You are forgiven.'
    Such is the rule of honour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys. I have been away for the weekend and have come back to all this info !! Thanks heaps all of you. The information is very useful.

O4OFF - Is there an inland track to Orchid Beach that can be taken when the tide is not right? I have seen some tracks on Google Maps but they don't show any detail. I know I will be able to get maps up there - but do you know of any good maps online. I have had a look but again - they are not very detailed.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillsGU View Post
    O4OFF - Is there an inland track to Orchid Beach that can be taken when the tide is not right?.
    Not that i know of mate, the only other inland track to/from orchid beach is Wathumba rd, but it joins wathumba creek (impassable to vehicles, and totally not even worth a visit), there is a ranger/fire trail off wathumba rd that heads down toward the lakes, but all those trails will be closed to traffic (locked gates) so unless you are walking, you will still have to travel via the Indian Head bypass track.

My advise is be on Fraser Island to pass Hook point, 2 hours before low tide, that gives you plenty of time to get all the way up to Orchid Beach.

Dont wait to get up to QLD to buy your map, Fraser is a popular one so most places stock it, but popular also means it can sell out fast.

You can buy online here Fraser Map

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

BillsGU (25th July 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    My advise is be on Fraser Island to pass Hook point, 2 hours before low tide, that gives you plenty of time to get all the way up to Orchid Beach.

Dont wait to get up to QLD to buy your map, Fraser is a popular one so most places stock it, but popular also means it can sell out fast.

You can buy online here Fraser Map

OK - I'll do that. How do you clean the salt off your car when you get off the island? Do you do it at home or is there a place you can go to spray water / oil / whatever underneath?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A great place to clean your car after Fraser is here..... CAR WASH

When you get off the barge, just keep going straight through at the roundabout onto Karoonda rd, the car wash is at the end of this rd on the right hand side, they also have heaps of tyre pumps available on site to air up while you wait, (it can get busy in peak times)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

BillsGU (25th July 2011)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast