Thread: Y62 dust in engine

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I am.
    About 10 years ago Nissan Australia paid me to fit a data logger/tracker to my Y61 towing a camper trailer across the Tanami, along the Gibb River Road, up to Cape Leveque, then back on the Tanami. I was providing data to two local engineers plus one from Japan. They obviously didn’t think it was off limits for the Y61 but now they are saying it was too extreme for the Y62. I am working on the assumption their current stance can’t be defended. Their latest marketing material clearly shows the Y62 in pics with lots of dust. The car is basically very good but the same can’t be said about their customer service.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Is this worded anywhere in the manual? I'd be asking them to show me exactly where it says why I Can't drive my $80k "off-road" vehicle through the Aussie outback.
    Yes agree, Id be very interested in what the OPs manual actually says about driving in dusty conditions, and what precautions and or maintenance is required by the owner ?

The owners manual is your "instruction book", so if you have in fact followed all the instructions, and as you have said, serviced at Nissan using genuine filters, then i can see how you would feel very frustrated, i guess i can also see how Nissan can not foresee every extreme condition a vehicle may be exposed to, and everything has its limits.

And just how much "dust" is "dusty", well look at Collins online English Dictionary's Definition of 'dusty' "If places, roads, or other things outside are dusty, they are covered with tiny bits of earth or sand, usually because it has not rained for a long time". sounds like a description of the majority of Australia's land mass, so seems reasonable to expect that a off road vehicle sold in AU, should be able to cope with dusty conditions pretty well ?

If im reading it correctly , my S5 service book says for normal use "clean" the Air filter every service, and only replacing it every 40k...... for "dusty" conditions it just says to replace more frequently, but does not say how often, so pretty vague if you ask me, i replaced my air filter myself at 20k (after ringing up to ask why it was not done at service as i assumed it would)

Quote Originally Posted by MelbAl View Post
    Their latest marketing material clearly shows the Y62 in pics with lots of dust.
    Funny you should mention that, i always found it odd, their S5 marketing material also shows a Y62 clearly driving through ocean salt water, yet i bet if "i" drove mine into the ocean, and then complained because the car started rusting, the dealer would laugh at me ?

patrol-banner-splahing-waves-edited-3000x1500.jpg

<a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

Avo (24th June 2021), growler2058 (25th June 2021), mudnut (25th June 2021), rusty_nail (24th June 2021)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The owners manual says nothing about severe driving conditions, but the service manual lists 10 conditions including driving in dust. It also includes extensive idling and driving with frequent use of brakes. 04OFF is perfectly correct in saying the service book require you to do things more often but doesn’t define what this means. For dust, it seems to be checking the brakes more often and replacing the air conditioner filter - neither of which will destroy the engine.
    This does not seem to be about what’s in the book, it’s about Nissan’s approach to customer service. They seem to have no interest in the fact I did service it more frequently and this was with Nissan. E.g. the 50,000km, 60,000km and 70,000km services all occurred within 3 months with the middle one being in Townsville in the middle of one trip. I didn’t want to travel 20,000 kms without at least changing the engine oil so I had a full service at their Townsville dealership.
    My original question for this forum was - has anyone else experienced anything like this?
    I am also interested in whether anyone knows a good lawyer in Melbourne with experience suing a car company.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MelbAl For This Useful Post:

MB (25th June 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s probably no help again MelbAI Mate but the Kerrigan family somewhere over near Tullamarine-Melbourne appeared to go alright with Dennis Denuto against some sort of Powerhouse endless fighting coin Corporation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (26th June 2021), growler2058 (28th June 2021), MelbAl (25th June 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y62 dust in engine

Only my opinion but would imagine you’d need irrefutable evidence of how a design fault allowed the reasonable dust/particulates to physically get inside your unfortunate engine MelbAI Mate.
    Second step after that I would think would be putting forward manuals/advertising having mislead your purchase etc….
    A huge case if they are at design fault, fit for purpose and the like so again can only imagine they’d fight hard to protect a precedence or whatever it’s called

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MB, I understand what you are saying but on my side I have a official letter from Nissan saying that dust got past the filter and entered the engine. I don’t think I have to prove anything since Nissan have conceded this in writing. Whether the filter can’t cope with bull dust, or if it’s something else is not for me to worry about since they have conceded on that point. But you are spot on with the need to demonstrate their marketing led me to believe the Y62 was capable of handling trips on outback roads. Add to that the fact they paid me to carry a data logger on a prior trip to the Kimberley in 2012 in my then Y61 seems to prove to me that they had no issues with the Patrol travelling on dusty/dirt roads.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MelbAl For This Useful Post:

MB (26th June 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apologies, I must have missed the part of the letter, hopefully that’s the sealing nail in their coffin for you Mate

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Win, loose or draw, and I do truly hope you win MelbAI Mate to at the least get a new motor out of them!
    I wonder what their future recommendation would be for an upgraded filtration system and or whether or not there is any aftermarket mobs out there already fabricating one so some other poor buggers don’t cop the same fate as yours on their dream around Australia retirement say bucket list ?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After market air intake systems for the Y62 are becoming available. There is one from AVO turbo - the same mob who supplied my current exhaust system. I’ll be looking at them as well as a snorkel once I get a new engine. Thanks for your help and thoughts.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MelbAl For This Useful Post:

MB (26th June 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y62 dust in engine

I wish you the absolute best of luck MelbAI Mate, please do keep us posted of the hopeful good news soon
    BTW: Thank you for the AVO lead, you may have indirectly solved a search we may future need for old diesels front mount intercoolers to assist taming EGT’s

https://avoturbo.com/brz-frs-86-upgr...er-entry-hose/

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MelbAl (26th June 2021)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast