OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: 2.8 Patrol, hard to start, blowing smoke, oil leaking.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.8 Patrol, hard to start, blowing smoke, oil leaking.

Hi,
    I have been researching on this forum for people who have experienced the same issues as me with there 2.8 patrols but I can't quite find what I'm looking for.
    I'll describe what his happening to my 1999, 2.8L GU patrol and hopefully someone might be able to help.

The patrol has been hard to start when cold or even if left for an hour or so. I've given up at times as it would just not fire. Then a few hours later it's starts and puffs out alot of white smoke. Then as you put it in first gear it runs rough and sometimes stalls. You need to put your foot down to stop this from happening.

I took it to a mechanic who changed 4 of the 6 glow plugs as he thought this was the issue. He snapped the remaining 2 and he didn't know how to get them out. His opinion for the white smoke and rough running was leaking injectors but not something he can do.

Since the mechanic changed 4 glow plugs and the fuel filter the patrol does start much better but now puffs out alot more white smoke then it did before at starting and it still wants to stall when you put it in gear.
    It drives ok and the engine isn't hot at all.
    When you wait at the traffic lights it idles fine if it's only a short wait but then starts to run rough if the wait is too long and then as you put it in gear it runs rough or stalls.

I have now also noticed oil on the floor of the garage and have seen lots of oil around the mid area of the engine. Sorry I'm not overly mechanically minded but I'm learning.

I have booked the patrol in to have injectors changed but if anyone has any other thoughts or ideas that I can take to the mechanic. I just don't want to change injectors when maybe that isn't the problem. It has done 377k kilometres if that helps.
    Thank you in advance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kano For This Useful Post:

MB (11th June 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.8 Patrol, hard to start, blowing smoke, oil leaking.

Definitely start with replacing all injectors and glow plugs as you’re already wisely doing would be my nuffy opinion too Kano Mate
    She’s got some half decent miles under her belt and deserves a birthday for starters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MB for your reply.
    I'll ask the mechanic to change the injectors and hopefully that may fix the problem. Im just hoping that the oil leaking isn't a sign of anything too bad. It's an old patrol but I still love it and I'd rather not have to buy anything new at the moment.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kano For This Useful Post:

MB (12th June 2021)