Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Uhf radios

G'day all,

Starting to look for a UHF radio for my car although I'm swamped with all the options out there. In the past I've either bought the cheapest most basic one I could find which was my budget at the time, or inherited one when purchasing the next car already installed. Needless to say I know bugger all about amateur radio-ing. My only requirement is I would like a remote mic, so I can mount the head unit under the dash somewhere.

Should I be looking at a better unit with more features like the Uniden 6060 or 8060? Or are the extra features just gimmicks that won't get used?

Also what sort of antenna should I be looking at? I see there are antennas ranging from 2dbi to 6 and up, not only that there are monopole, dipole, glass mount, and many other types. I'm guessing I need to steer clear of the glass mount jobs?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Cheers

Rusty

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,415 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know mucb about the antennas mate but I upgraded from an old Uniden one to one of the new GME XRS units and can highly recommend it. The sound quality that comes through it is brilliant. I installed an external speaker as well as I have always had trouble hearing through UHF but it was completely unnecessary.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (2nd June 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just had a quick look they look great, lots of features to including updates and location tracking with assistance of your phone and in built GPS? The model I at was the 330c. I'll have a but more of a look into gme, I honestly forgot about them

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,415 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I personally think the GPS link to your phone is a bit of a wank but I love some of the functions. The best thing is the ability to replay a transmission, if you aren't paying attention or the missus is talking jn your ear you just press a button and it replays the last received messages.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have the uniden 9080. It has a inbuilt scanner, which ive messed around with listening to various stuff, but otherwise to me it is a useless feature?
    I LOVE the replay function. If you miss something just hit the button and it plays back last transmission, or last 30 seconds or something, cant remember.
    It has all these other functions, the manual is as thick as a politician, Most ive never used / never will.
    Pretty clear transmission. Mine arrived with 2 hot-swappable antennas, the short and the long one, i cant remember what dB they are... But the shorter one 400% works far better around the hilly high country tracks for example. Long one has huge range around Melbourne...
    I thought that was just a marketting ploy, but it actually has some merit.
    Hand-piece has all the functions/screen so you can install the main unit remotely and simply use a Cat5/6 cable between them with a flush mounted socket.
    Other than that it does what a UHF does... You talk into it, and it talks back.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 TD42TI

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,767 Times in 2,032 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced mine only recently, I too went for the the cheapest one I could get. Now have a Uniden much better, but I'm only comparing to a complete POS.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/in...b-r...060/p/A9723630

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GME seems to be working very well for us these days thankfully educated too Nico Mate!
    The “only” Australian Made handhelds.....small scale 8 x baby 1 Watters used around our yard

My personal emergency glovebox handheld is also a GME 5 Wattie that can be truly utilised to piss mates off communication wise quiet beyond 2km in hilly country

I can some mornings UHF speak to our yard way over the top of the YValley crest and down but only off our Nissan 12V powered Wagon & Utes with them GME 4500 model inbuilt oldish chatter boxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (3rd June 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah had a few GMEs and all seem to work well. . I may be an old bugger but my do like the old school single din unit that has knobs that are easy to use. . Have a unit in the work car that is remote mounted works well I think just don't how to use it lol. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (3rd June 2021)