Thread: Tacho goes to 0 when car moves.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tacho goes to 0 when car moves.

Hi all, first post here thanks for having me. My gu4 td42ti tacho is playing up. It was all working fine until yesterday not sure if its a coincidence that I blocked off the egr and gave the IC a clean out yesterday with kerosene then metho.

Now the tacho works fine when car is parked still, soon as I start to even roll out of the driveway it drops to 0 and starts jumping up and down when driving.

Any idea what's going on or where to look?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you loosen or disconnect any earth wires?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah mate I didnt disconnect anything, that was first thing I thought of, but didn't know which plugs to check incase I knocked something. Only one I knew to check was the rpm sensor on front of timing cover.. are there any others I should check in particular? I did go over all in the vicinity of where I was working but nothing seems obvious.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe double check that you've done everything up again tightly?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh been over it like 10 times lol..

Maybe its a coincidence and the rpm sender just shat it self?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My sensor died a few years ago. Similar MO.. front of the engine up near the top behind the fan is where the sender is in mine. Try give the wire a wiggle with the engine running, might show your trouble. Don't stick your hand in the fan though.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MB (31st May 2021)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update, played around with some of the wiring going into the fuse/relay box in engine bay and the tacho is now working fine.

I was leaning over the side of the engine bay on that side when I was working on the car so maybe dislodged a wire or something. It's fixed for now but I'm assuming it will haunt me down the track!
    Cheers all

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JfknR For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (31st May 2021), Cremulator (31st May 2021), MB (31st May 2021), mudnut (31st May 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine was intermittent for months. It does effect the timing slightly on the Ti when it's not reading the rpm. Mine died properly on a trip and I got noticeably worse fuel economy and the power was down a bit. Looked it up after and apparently the ecu uses rpm as one of the variables to set the timing at the pump. Good news is that it won't leave you stranded, I think the ecu just defaults the timing to full safe/retard.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies