The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,283 Times in 6,435 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    My Patrol started getting hot after I fitted an aftermarket water temp gauge.
    Haha! One thing I remember that was told to me when I picked my Patrol up from JPC after the conversion was to get rid of the aftermarket temp gauge. I should have taken his advise on that one.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,283 Times in 6,435 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I believe the reason most TD42 owners have issues overheating is because they have modified them to have the extra power, once the extra power is there it's natural to want to use it all the time. Up long steep hills I could easily hold 5th gear 100km/hr where a stock one couldn't. But mine would get hot and the stock one wouldn't.
    If I were to maintain the same speed as a stock one I wouldn't get hot at all.
    I hold speed until I see the temp begin to rise, then slow down and drop a gear. This weekend just gone I towed my 2t caravan to Omeo from Bruthen. Anybody who knows the last hill knows it is an absolute bastard of a radiator tester. Held 3rs gear 3/4 of the way and had to drop to 2nd at the end.
    I could have held 4th if I put my foot down but would have ended up needing another new engine I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Oh that last hill is a killer. 115c I was on that hill held third all the way up. Same as the hill just out of Omeo on the first hill climb heading up to Hotham. Wow!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: Have owned quite a few GU early TD42T’s wagooons/utes and currently a GQ TD42 with dealer fitted little Safari turbo.
    Besides minor fuel consumption/power upgrades to all like 3” exhausts and a half decent tune to suit the new extra flows I personally define them as an extremely faithful old excellent workhorse donk
    The only overheating issues I’ve personally ever experienced were from extremely poor radiator maintenance, some from my younger nuffier working days hauling highly illegal weight loads into headwinds west full of bugs and after later GU’s holiday mud adventures etc..... The GQ did commence creeping up to boil a year or so ago out the back of Bourke, even with a brand new OEM (as always preferred) radiator and it turned out that the 30 year old Viscous Coupling wasn’t fully locking up, easy cheap replacement fix again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW #2: Forgot to mention
    In stockish (sub 100rwkw) format you need to drop a highway cog (5th <>4th) to alleviate our weak 5th gear OEM potential hauling damage unless on the downhill and or tailwind, otherwise enjoy 4th gear 2,500rpm scenery at say 90kmph gear ratio/tyre size depending

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123