Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Tank Breathers!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel Tank Breathers!!

TD42 fuel tank breathers! my gq had a strange sorta drop/cut in the revs only ever in 3rd above 2200rpm. one hard line was completely filled with wasp mud, and the one way valve was cactus. binned both, problem solved

my question is, do i NEED to run a one way valve in the breather line or is it pretty useless & am i better off extending it up somewhere and putting a little ryco inline filter instead?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sussgq For This Useful Post:

MB (7th May 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top query Sussgq Mate
    Currently running a GQ ute with the filler/breathers up above window level between the cab/tray.
    On a stock wagon I can’t nuffy myself imagine a 1 way valve working as our tanks are trying to suction pull in air to relieve pressure squash not exhaust outwards if that makes sense?
    No doubt illegal but but I’d assume the higher all fill points/breathers are would be best IMHO, maybe a sneaky hatch somewhere up higher and or keep away from idling in waters/mud above the OEM hatch, easier said than done though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW: A close relative borrowed my old FJ55 beloved wagon some 20+ years ago with one of his mates to pop into town (Tocumwal) and grab us some more ice whilst fishing on the Mighty Murray River. 9 hrs later they returned with my truck looking immaculately washed, “what nice young blokes” I said
    Eventually noticed a single reed dangling off the chassis gearbox crossmember that was only known to that region from the nastiest/deepest backwater bog hole possible. All shits and giggles they gave up the real story telling and we checked my batteries near caput/cactus from flogging the old Warn 2.5hp HM winch to death. Low and behold I changed over from LPG to Petrol a week later and uncovered a minimum of 30L of Murray swamp water in her poor old submerged tank via OEM filler/breathers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Rossco (7th May 2021), rusty_nail (13th May 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=MB;819516]FWIW: A close relative borrowed my old FJ55 beloved wagon some 20+ years ago with one of his mates to pop into town (Tocumwal) and grab us some more ice whilst fishing on the Mighty Murray River. 9 hrs later they returned with my truck looking immaculately washed, “what nice young blokes” I said
    Eventually noticed a single reed dangling off the chassis gearbox crossmember that was only known to that region from the nastiest/deepest backwater bog hole possible. All shits and giggles they gave up the real story telling and we checked my batteries near caput/cactus from flogging the old Warn 2.5hp HM winch to death. Low and behold I changed over from LPG to Petrol a week later and uncovered a minimum of 30L of Murray swamp water in her poor old submerged tank via OEM filler/breathers

far out that’s no good mate hahaha, i was thinking it wouldn’t make much sense as vacuum would mess with the whole idea of air replacing used fuel volume in the tank, for the moment i’d just taken the valve out and left breather in the stock place but i think i’m going to go with the idea of raising it up high + a little rock filter in line to keep sh#t out of it. cheers for that mate!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apologies ahead for thread-hijack nuffy spanner in the works kinda question out here regarding tank breathers...
    But when you undo the cap and the hiss suction nearly sucks your hand in, is this a factory kinda thing or is there a breather issue at hand here ?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Apologies ahead for thread-hijack nuffy spanner in the works kinda question out here regarding tank breathers...
    But when you undo the cap and the hiss suction nearly sucks your hand in, is this a factory kinda thing or is there a breather issue at hand here ?

Breather issue. The breather is a 10c item with a crude flap, designed to let air into the tank to replace the fuel that has been used. The tank does get a return fuel flow also. The tank also has a larger vent line that feeds from the filler stem to the tank to facilitate the discharge of the air during filling. If the tank hisses, the breather is blocked. I have seen first hand a vehicle that refused to start and run more than 5 seconds when the breather became filled with mud and ice. Upon opening the cap, it started first time and ran sweetly. There was a significant hiss when opening the tank.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th May 2021)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Breather issue. The breather is a 10c item with a crude flap, designed to let air into the tank to replace the fuel that has been used. The tank does get a return fuel flow also. The tank also has a larger vent line that feeds from the filler stem to the tank to facilitate the discharge of the air during filling. If the tank hisses, the breather is blocked. I have seen first hand a vehicle that refused to start and run more than 5 seconds when the breather became filled with mud and ice. Upon opening the cap, it started first time and ran sweetly. There was a significant hiss when opening the tank.
    Thanks PB. I knew there was the one at the filler point.
    I'll go and have a look for the other one and check.

2005 TD42TI

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I found this.
    What I assume is the one way valve at the end of the pipe ?
    And then this plasticy doodah cap thing on the end of it.

2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey mate! nah that’s the little breather ‘cup’, it’s supposed to create a pocket of air to avoid water entering the tank if it was to be submerged, but it isn’t very affective. the one way valve is a very small black tank just off the side of the fuel tank behind the flap that covers the filler neck! best bet is to extend the breather up high and bin the one way valve

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sussgq For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th May 2021)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sussgq View Post
    hey mate! nah that’s the little breather ‘cup’, it’s supposed to create a pocket of air to avoid water entering the tank if it was to be submerged, but it isn’t very affective. the one way valve is a very small black tank just off the side of the fuel tank behind the flap that covers the filler neck! best bet is to extend the breather up high and bin the one way valve
    Yep gotya cheers for that ! I think I traced it out ...
    I come across this...

2005 TD42TI

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

clawrence (16th May 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast