OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Replaced GQ handbrake cable (pics)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Replaced GQ handbrake cable (pics)

Finally got around to replacing the handbrake cable and while it was simple enough (took a few hours) there was not a lot of info on it here so I thought I would add some pictures of it going back together which may make handbrake work a bit quicker and easier for someone else in the future.
    Drive shaft came off very easy using a long arm but then the engine was replaced a few years back.
    IMG_20210430_122035_3.jpg
    That little cut washer was holding the cable in so I just spread it with a screwdriver then pinch it back up with some pliers.
    IMG_20210430_123015_1.jpg
    Removed the brake pads to make it easier to remove and replace the cable although it may be possible to do it without taking them right off.
    IMG_20210430_123705_0.jpg
    Those springs were a bit of a pain to get off with pliers at first but they went back on ok.
    I thought that maybe I should replace them since the handbrake would squeak a bit when first released but on inspection they look to be doing there job.
    IMG_20210430_124539_6.jpg
    I brought in some cheap labor for a extra set of hands to help push those dam twist pins back in on each side while being careful not to hit her with any tools as I can see those small hands coming in handy in the future...
    IMG_20210430_142557_2.jpg
    Bottom spring and tensioner was a piece of cake.
    IMG_20210430_142901_8.jpg
    Once all back together I tightened the tensioner up till the drive shaft wouldn't turn then backed it off till it seemed free + a little bit more to make sure it was clear.
    IMG_20210430_144803_5.jpg
    No pics of the other end but that was very simple being a old coil cab.
    Oh and the clip midway along the cable needed some vice grips on one end to stop the clip twisting off the chassis with a socket on the bolt.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dasa For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (1st May 2021), Deano2506 (1st May 2021), GregRT (12th May 2021), PeeBee (1st May 2021), Rossco (2nd May 2021), Touses (12th May 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great write-up! A close friend of mine got this new GQ project and the brake system needs some TLC including the handbrake. We'll just finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the Wrangler this week before we can take a closer look at the GQ.