Thanks
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 474 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Cheers from Brazil

Hello everyone.

Patrols are pretty rare around here but I managed to get ahold of one to call my own. It is a LHD Y60 wagon, blacktop TD42, SGL-D model with the 3rd row seat (missing), over the top A/C for the 2nd and 3rd rows and the cooler box on the trunk.

I would be lying if I said it has been beaten to death. If it had nine lives like a cat, it would be more appropriate to say it had been beaten to death eight and a half times... No rust though, which all in all, is a blessing.

Engine has been run without the rad cap on, so it overheated and pistons scratched the sleeves. So I started with a sleeves/pistons/rings/bearings/seals rebuilt. Engine now is the most sweet thing in the rig.

Front axle was with passenger car brake calipers adapted. Had to import new ones from down under, along with a full hub/spindle bearings and seals kit. So for front axle I can say I have it covered now.

While the engine was out, I took apart most of the interior, because it seemed to have been used to transport sweaty pigs in mining roads with all four windows down... it wasn´t just dusty or muddy... it was all together plus greasy... yuchs..

With an happy engine and now with brakes, I started to enjoy my little monster and get acquainted with it. Noticed some clunks on the rear axle when throttling up and down, so I attached a camera on the rear links to have a peek on what was going on down there and it turned out to be the suspension bushes were no more... Had a local machine shop turn me new bushes using polyurethane and they came out sweet. While the bushes were being manufactured, I figured out it was a good idea to order new shocks to be able to completely cross "suspension" out of the enormous to-do list. Oh, and when I was disassembling the suspension arms and panhard bars for machining parts, I also noticed that the rubber coil seats had completely disintegrated, so I asked the machine shop to make me some new coil seats/spacers as well. Not to lift, but to maybe correct any sagging that I honestly could not have the slightest idea since I had no other car around for comparison.

Suspension all buttoned up, what a ride it was... Completely new experience...

Pleasure nights they were in July/2020 after months already locked working from home with all family also working/taking classes when, after done with all my household obligations, I would take my little monster out for a drive... gotta make sure the new engine breaks in, I would say, and there were all roads with barely no one on them, just for my TD42 pleasure... Fenders shaking loose, interior totally stripped out, all large panels rumbling and hot engine air coming up the open/exposed gear box floor cover. Best time ever!

Managed to fix myself the alternator that was not properly charging and bingo! Immediately lights shone stronger and dash came back to life! Power locks were working and also the A/C blower was blowing strong (a huge puff of dirt in my face that was, but still, it was working strong).

One of the biggest satisfactions with this Patrol, and I quote my wife for saying that, is that for being so beaten up on its past lives, it seems to be grateful for now having a careful owner. Every single nut I turn, every single wire I check, when I jump in to take a ride, the car sound changes to something better, it drives better, it pays back. Funny thing that is, but its true.

Since late of last year I have stopped the car to give it a full body work and paint. Me and a friend that works in a body shop are working on it but only on Saturdays because of both of our jobs, but despite the time it is taking, it is being a pleasure to learn about the details of such type of restoration and getting to know my car up to the smallest detail possible. Several small cracks were found here and there, that caused a lot of the noises when I was driving it. They were all welded. All panels were straightened, all hinges were re-bushed and the whole car was sanded and primed. As of today, we are in the process of sanding finer and finer, and getting close to paint day.

Plans are, once painted, start working on sound-deadening and then upholstery.

After I started off-roading a while ago, all vehicles I have had ever since were 4x4s, and me and the kids like to give our vehicle names, specially after animals. Since the Patrol is coming back to life after every little thing I fix, like nothing had ever happened, kids thought "Honeybadger" was a suitable name. So, Honeybadger the Y60 it is!

Hope to be able learn a lot from here, from folks that have been around these cool 4x4s since kids, when I could only see Patrols on TV shows and still rarelly, on magazines.

Cheers from Brazil.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

AB (26th April 2021), Cremulator (24th April 2021), growler2058 (26th April 2021), MB (29th April 2021), mudski (26th April 2021), threedogs (30th April 2021), Touses (29th April 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome!
    Great write up on your history with your Patrol.
    I'd love to see some photos of the work you have done and are doing if you have them
    Nothing better than your experience improving with a vehicle after modifying or repairing something

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (26th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day mate welcome aboard. Great write up

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate, great write up!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cremulator View Post
    Welcome!
    I'd love to see some photos of the work you have done and are doing if you have them
    This car has more pictures then my kids, LOL. I´ll create a build thread later on.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (27th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the community! Enjoy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to GregRT For This Useful Post:

threedogs (30th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Aboard From Abroad Brazilian Mate!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hello and welcome to the forum, enjoy
    pics would be great
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who have asked to see some pictures, I have started a Build Thread on the Members Rides section. See you there!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

AB (6th May 2021), MB (7th May 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast