Thread: Fuel lift pump

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel lift pump

Hey just had a mate call me having problems getting his gu2 zd30 started. He got someone to download his fault codes, he was told it was the lift pump and it would cost $5000 to fix. I didn't think they had a lift pump as in fuel tank, he was told it was a lot of work to pull tank out etc. Do they have lift pump in tank?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only pump the have is the injector pump. This sucks fuel from the tank. Whats the fault code he's getting?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    The only pump the have is the injector pump. This sucks fuel from the tank. Whats the fault code he's getting?
    Some old timers may talk about the lift pump even though it is part of the injector pump. That would explain the $5000. to fix. Sometimes you can get away with putting an inline "lift" pump near the tank. Can be bought from Repco type places for about $50 to $100. Get about 15psi pump. this will feed fuel to the injector pump and if the injector part of the pump is ok it may work. Worked with my Kia truck for about 18 months then the injector pump crapped out altogether. There are some good exchange and rebuild peeps around, mainly in the Sydney ares. My new Kia pump from stealer was $3500 and got a rebuild for $1800. Works on exchange you pay $3000 or so then they refund $1200 when you give your old pump in. Same with Merc Vito work van. Merc quoted $5 to $6k but had it done by a rebuilder for $2750 fitted. Both work well.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotcahoona View Post
    Hey just had a mate call me having problems getting his gu2 zd30 started. He got someone to download his fault codes, he was told it was the lift pump and it would cost $5000 to fix. I didn't think they had a lift pump as in fuel tank, he was told it was a lot of work to pull tank out etc. Do they have lift pump in tank?
    have a look and see that the Primer pump is not cactii
    primer pump.JPG

just try and pump that big black button... if it pumps then goes hard - there's your problem

if it is this, then a simple replacement - and not in the $1000's
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Thanks don't know but i didn't think there was a lift pump.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotcahoona View Post
    Thanks don't know but i didn't think there was a lift pump.
    The only pump on the ZD30 out of factory 100% is the injector pump.
    UNLESS... There was a user added lift pump which is a mod some people do to help the injector pump.
    This does not cost $1000s.
    HOWEVER... This user added lift pump (if fitted) may have caused damage down the line ?
    Just brainstorming.
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get the fault codes first I reckon....