Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange goings on when driving downhill under load

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would put my money on Hubs too. Much more likely than a transfer case failure. There ain't much in a hub and a little front diff wind up and they will jump a tooth.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't see this happening with chains jumping cogs or gears jumping out of mesh, you would have serious issues and it would happen more often. I am thinking its transfer case wind up and its releasing as a reaction thru the wheels/suspension. I had a pinion bearing fail on a landcruiser and it went bang in an instant, however didn't manifest into a total failure until 200klm down the road. I would also revisit the pinion bearings for movement, however would think the gear set would be well and truelly gone by then, as mine was.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I would put my money on Hubs too. Much more likely than a transfer case failure. There ain't much in a hub and a little front diff wind up and they will jump a tooth.
    I have put a new set of hubs in it and it didn't make a difference. If it was a hub surely they would show some wear? I'll pull them off to confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I can't see this happening with chains jumping cogs or gears jumping out of mesh, you would have serious issues and it would happen more often. I am thinking its transfer case wind up and its releasing as a reaction thru the wheels/suspension. I had a pinion bearing fail on a landcruiser and it went bang in an instant, however didn't manifest into a total failure until 200klm down the road. I would also revisit the pinion bearings for movement, however would think the gear set would be well and truelly gone by then, as mine was.
    Yeah I've been thinking wind up, but why would this be happening? It has been hapenning for about 3 years randomly, I've done a lot of 4wding since and other than when it skips, it drives great.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't need much difference in tyre diameter from wear to have this happen, and if you are crawling around on grippy surfaces the wind up will build and release on the next bit of slippery stuff. I used to get this climbing out of burgoynes with my tyres that had worn more on the rears than the fronts, didn't get the release bang when driving , but needed to reverse back and forth a few times and then sometimes it was a significant clunk as the transfer case was moved into 2wd. I would check the tread depth front to rear.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When you remove the hubs take a pic of the gear in the selector part in both lock and unlock positions.
    The hubs you bought were new? Genuine? I have pics somewhere of the differences between oem and the Chinese hubs. The gears were noticeably different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    You don't need much difference in tyre diameter from wear to have this happen, and if you are crawling around on grippy surfaces the wind up will build and release on the next bit of slippery stuff. I used to get this climbing out of burgoynes with my tyres that had worn more on the rears than the fronts, didn't get the release bang when driving , but needed to reverse back and forth a few times and then sometimes it was a significant clunk as the transfer case was moved into 2wd. I would check the tread depth front to rear.
    That would have made sense a couple of years ago as the tyres were definitely unevenly worn. But I have brand new tyres now and it hasn't made a difference.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (13th April 2021)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Found them.

Check out the teeth size differences between Chinese and OEM. No wonder the Chinese knock offs were jumping. The last pic you can see the wear on the teeth from it. So also make sure the outer gear is throwing in enough to properly mess with the gear in the axle. Which as said this can be adjusted if its not. Or you want to make hem throw that little bit more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (13th April 2021), Rossco (13th April 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mudski, I didn't know they were adjustable.
    I replaced the old ones with 2nd hand genuine.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Thanks Mudski, I didn't know they were adjustable.
    I replaced the old ones with 2nd hand genuine.

Yeah those six ( i think there is ) pins that hold the gear in the hub, come out and then that gear winds out, its on a thread. So all you need to do is wind it out bit and put the pins back in. Your issue might be a simple as not enough throw in that gear to mesh with the other gear on the axle.
    Last edited by mudski; 13th April 2021 at 07:54 AM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (13th April 2021), Rossco (13th April 2021), Winnie (13th April 2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12