Thread: Handheld UHF

Thanks
    Thanked 3,718 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Handheld UHF

I've always had trouble with my UHF so I'm going to get rid of it and replace it with a handheld. This brings me to a couple of questions.

1. What are the rules using a mic/handheld. Are they the same as using a mobile phone while driving.

2. What do I get brand, watts is 5 watts too much.

3. Nothing over the top, just something that works and charges on 12v.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jay check out this write up for laws on use

https://unsealed4x4.com.au/is-it-ill...while-driving/ so you can still get pinged by crook plod, if in their opinion your vehicle was not under full control (once they realize they got the phone thing wrong)

As for 5 W I got a set of https://www.gme.net.au/au/hand-held-radios/tx6160x/ for winch, recovery and spotter work, and the internal mount XRS connect https://www.gme.net.au/au/fixed-moun...os/xrs-370c4p/ in vehicle. ...and because they came with the truck when I bought it. I find them pretty good in the mountains and excellent in the open and beaches. That said, even the 5W have no where near the range of the internal mount set up.

Now perhaps this will do you..its both in one sort of https://www.gme.net.au/au/hand-held-radios/tx6160/ as you can rest the radio n the charger and use the mic, and remove when portable use needed.
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th April 2021), Rossco (7th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use a Uniden handheld with an extension mic, but have mounted it to the Trans tunnel. Seems to work Ok, Plus it's water proof if I unplug mic and pop the stopper/cap in.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a GME TX6160, has been an absolutely great little handheld, has separate mic with speaker in it and waterproof. . .Whats up the the vehicle radio? Might just need new coax and base possibly, vehicle radio will be better for range, never have to worry about charging or have the thing flop around, one of each for best of both worlds maybe? . . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the mini GME 1Watties down at the work yard and they’re only good for about 1km max range in flat open valley country.
    My handheld GME 5Wattie gets approximately 5kms in the same open country but I was always the butt of all jokes using it as a main communication device in our high country with trees and crests in the convoys line of sight.
    Now run a 5Wattie GME incab installation and still carry my 5Wattie handheld laughing stock for winch work etc....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,986 Times in 3,176 Posts
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A handheld will never work as well as a mobile with external antenna.
    Having a handheld radio inside the car will shield the antenna and give poor range.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Currently running a Oricom unit @Rossco it keeps losing power. Have to turn the knob a few times to get it to stay on and then it goes off without knowing and I need to repeat. It's already been replaced once.

12/97 GEE YOU

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hand helds are OK, but the batteries always run out when you need them. I much prefer a built in unit. Always had trouble with the Uniden unit I had. The GME I had before that was old(40 channel) robust & reliable. The Icom unit I have now is the ducks nuts. The cost is higher than many but I was fed up of having an untrusworthy set up. When I bought the Uniden POS I reasoned it wasn't worth spending a lot on something i would never use much. The reality is it's not worth spending anything on something which never does the job it's intended to. On that basis if you decide on hand held, don't buy cheap. The 5w GME handhelds we have are possibly 20 years old now, but are solid & dependable.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 7th April 2021 at 07:59 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (8th April 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers for the input gents.

Now I'm thinking do I just replace the current unit with a better one?

What's better Uniden or gme in a sub $300 range.

12/97 GEE YOU

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure I’ve still got a GME incab decent 5wattie spare in the shed free to you John Mate if you want it?
    My GQ’s GME microphone wires got shredded so one of the boys kindly found me a complete unit off Gumtree for peanuts of which I’m using its mic/lead now.
    All yours if you want it, just needs the handset obviously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

jay see (7th April 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast