Thread: Swollen Bearing race

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Swollen Bearing race

So gents i have the GUIV on the hoist to make the fittings and fit up the sliders and noticed the front wheel bearings where loose. Very loose! I was surprised.

So off with the left hub to give them a nip up and I could not get Any adjustment. Any. Hmmmm?? That's odd. Damn that sux!

Off with the wheel, off with the bearing nut, off with the brake calliper. I could not remove the disk and bearing carrier. The outer bearing should just fall out, the inner bearing comes off with the disk.

No chance. Out with the mallet. A lot of big hits and no joy.

I ended up using a 3 arm gear puller to remove the disk assembly.

The race ans bearings appear to be contaminated and I will replace wheel bearing on both sides. I have pulled the spindle off ans inspected the CV and King pin bearing and noth are fine ans clean.

Here is the question... WTAF!!

The left side outer race has a smaller inside diameter. It seems to have shrunk? 8 have put the vernier on both spindles ans they measure the same. The inside D of the right side race is fine. The inside D of the left side race is over 1mm smaller..... WHY?

Right side outer Race

Left side outer race

Both Spindles

I assume is has something to do with heat? But makes no real sense. Heat would expand. Maybe a river crossing would cold shock and contract but this makes no sense. I basically had to press the race off.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 5th April 2021 at 12:50 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are they the original Japanese bearings? Years back, I was stung with "Japanese" bearings that only lasted a 1000 ks before they were shot.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No these have only been in the car for maybe 5 years. 4 years probably.

Koyo Bearing. I fitted them.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They look discoloured so heat will be the culprit. Koyo have manufacturers around the world, including China, so...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (5th April 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah the carrier looks average but the bearings appear ok. The grease was contaminated ans the car has basically been sitting for a year with only 1 ta k of fuel through it. I figured contaminated grease may have caused the discolorations rather than heat but either is not great

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use Inox MX8 now after water ingress quickly stuffed the old type. I have found it to be excellent. It was hardly discoloured after 10, 000 ks. But you have to carry some as it is not as widely available.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would say heat. It looks as though the inside of the smaller bearing has been spinning on the shaft. It may have gotten super hot as the inner race was creating friction on the stub and then it has cooled rapidly. Ever so slightly shrinking it onto the shaft.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (5th April 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is the part number of the bearing?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmm. So I gave the spindle a little rub with scotchbrite and cleaned it. I couldn't see any real issue but taking a pic certainly shows it has spun up. I'm blind as a bat in poor light!

What would cause it to spin up like that mate? Is that spindle knackered? They are pretty exy.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interestingly, this is the first front end rebuild I have done and NOT used Nolan's Xtreme Performance Grease (Red) for all parts. Wheel Bearings, CVs, King Pin Bearings,and every seal.

When I did the GU I used LMM grease for seals and CV and Nolan's for the wheel bearings as I had my bearing packer full.of it.

I can't tell is the contaminated grease is just LMM and the Nulon's Red or external contamination but the corrosion suggests the later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast