Hi all,

For a number of years now my 'trol has had the dreaded "Patrol wobbles" but they've never been bad enough for me to get off my bum and do something about it. But the 'trol now throws its head like an unbroken brumby, really bad between 80-90km/h.

I've been slack too and not rotated the tyres for some time but did so on the weekend. It has reduced the severity of the wobbles substantially, but the wobble is still there somewhere in the steering/damper/drag link/panhard/swaybar/pitman arm/lower control arms/bearings or who-knows where!

Before I start replacing bushes or components though, I need my tyre profiles to be uniform so at least they are smooth and not contributing to the vibrations. At the moment the tyre treads have substantial heel/toe wear (front-to-back wear on the tread blocks). Without uniform tyre profiles I don't think I'll be able to tell whether the work just completed has improved the base cause of the wobbles.

Check this pic. This is the left rear tyre. I have just driven up my concrete driveway and dirt/dust can be seen on the parts of the tread that have contacted the ground. The black parts have not touched the road/driveway. Scary!!

thumbnail_processed.jpg

Anyway, to my question. Are there any tyre shops out there that can still shave tyres? I understand it was a common practice in the days prior to radial tyres but I can't easily see a shop that can still provide this service.

Cheers.