Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD42 weird rattling sound!

Hello fellow Patrollers!
    Maybe somebody has seen/heard the similar issue as I have with my gq Patrol TD42. The thing is if I start my car with the engine cold then at first its perfect. After about 10 minutes driving or covering approximately 10 kilometers and the engine is about to achieve its temperature it starts making strange noise. It is a distinctive rattling sound. At first its intermittent, like one second intervals on and off. If driving continued the rattling gets longer till eventually it is constant. It takes approximately 5 kilometers or 5 minutes from the first appear till the constant rattle. But if you use the car past that the sound fades away. It does not disappear suddenly but goes away slowly. You can still hear it is there but only if you know what look for with your ears. When I am talking about driving I mean on the highway at 90 km/h. Lets say 2000 rpm. The sound is in direct connection with the accelerator pedal. Foot off the pedal - no rattle, foot on the pedal - rattle. And I do not mean flooring it but keeping constant speed while driving.

Cheers guys, hope somebody can help!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you got a go pro with decent audio, may pay to have it on and then edit a vid together of what you are describing, as this could be many issues.

My first thoughts were fuel related maybe even inj pump related, is the exhaust puffing any smoke and if so what color, when this is occurring...maybe a simple as engine ping with shittier fuel, or an injector that us dripping or partially clogged not injecting correctly at op temp, and globular diesel diesel pinging off or precombusting out of time.

Could be another 20 things as well.

A vid and some more info may help narrow it down.
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah pretty hard to say, we had an old landcruiser work ute that randomly made a really loud rattle probably more of a knock that came and went. . Don't think ever knew exactly what is was maybe injector or something internal. . Can't remember what happened to it really. . Soz not much help lol. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 12,411 Times in 6,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It doesn't make much sense but firstly I would look at the engine mount and the gearbox mounts.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Rossco (30th March 2021)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far I haven't had a chance to catch it red handed because it has been happening while in middle of the traffic. But it seems that its not that bad while idling because when I press the clutch and release the accelerator then on idle it seems ok, maybe it runs a bit sharper then usual. No power loss or gain occurs while it starts rattling, neither it does not throw any black or white smoke buffs from tailpipe.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Could this possibly be the famous TD42 gear chatter rattle it's renowned for ???

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Where is the sound coming from you think? From the motor? If so which side? OR a bit further back, like from the clutch or gear box area? When the noise is there if you depress the clutch pedal. Does anything change?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilvesekesekene View Post
    So far I haven't had a chance to catch it red handed because it has been happening while in middle of the traffic. But it seems that its not that bad while idling because when I press the clutch and release the accelerator then on idle it seems ok, maybe it runs a bit sharper then usual. No power loss or gain occurs while it starts rattling, neither it does not throw any black or white smoke buffs from tailpipe.

OK, this makes me wonder if the exhaust heat shield has come loose and is rattling as eng vibe increases under load, then decreases as eng vibe decreases off load. Could also be the exhaust itself moving and doing similar, if one or more of the exhaust mounts are fatigued.

Just something to check and discount if no issue, but then again, it may be.
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,