Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General questions about GU's

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I also ask a question about tyres. He has watched too many Youtube videos about putting on bigger tyres 33" or 35". They seem excessive to me but I was wondering if there are any downsides besides the expense. Currently has 265/75 R16's on it, 33" would be a 285/75-16 and 35" would be 315/75-16 assuming he does not go to R17's or R18's.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wagu89 View Post
    Doesnt take much oil from a k and n to contaminate the maf sensor. I found this out the hard way and got advised just run a stock one unless going aftermarket airbox etc there is no point
    If the air filter is over oiled you could possibly foul the air flow meter. FYI, I ran a K & N filter in my old ZD with zero issues for three years.
    Quote Originally Posted by stricky View Post
    Can I also ask a question about tyres. He has watched too many Youtube videos about putting on bigger tyres 33" or 35". They seem excessive to me but I was wondering if there are any downsides besides the expense. Currently has 265/75 R16's on it, 33" would be a 285/75-16 and 35" would be 315/75-16 assuming he does not go to R17's or R18's.
    The bigger the tyre the bigger the footprint you will have on the ground, giving you more grip. No doubts about this.

I had 315's (35 inch) and also 285's(32.5 inch), the 315's were so much better in my opinion, but, they are illegal in Vic. As I had gone through all the rig moral of getting my Patrol fully engineered, I sold them and bought 305's. closest to a true 33inch tyre. Same rolling diameter as the 285 but 2inches wider.

I'd love to go back to a 315. That little bit bigger and they were so much better. But its not worth the hassle of trying to avoid Mr.Plod in my opinion.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to get my head around tyre sizing. A 265/75 R16 is almost Identical to a 265/65 R18 except the 16" actually has a higher side wall height. Without looking it up I would have assumed the 18" was a bigger tyre.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to stricky For This Useful Post:

MB (23rd March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,247 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confuses the shiat out of me too Stricky Mate!
    Old school wise; 33”x10.5” were ok on 15x7” rims, 35”x12.5” required a 15x8” width upgrade (pre-bead lock days upon us :-)
    It’s all gone next level with rubber heights and rimmys but nothing changes the fact of 20psi distance between your rims and rocks.
    Will personally never bush safely go beyond a 16” rim on a 33” tyre. (285/75/R16) IIRC comparative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I run 315/75/16 LTs Maxxis Razrs on Truckus, on NSW rego on 16 x 8 dynamic steel rims. IN NSW you still need engineering sign off for these as well, as the original model was a 275/65/17 and we are only allowed 7 percent increase without certification.

That said, the footprint is excellent , especially when air down to 15 psi for sand , crawling or rock work, and I run at 42-44 psi for the bitumen for the best wear based on my alignment, with minimal wall roll.

As for comparisons use this handy tool https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Cheers
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

MB (26th March 2021)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckus View Post
    Yep, I run 315/75/16 LTs Maxxis Razrs on Truckus, on NSW rego on 16 x 8 dynamic steel rims. IN NSW you still need engineering sign off for these as well, as the original model was a 275/65/17 and we are only allowed 7 percent increase without certification.

That said, the footprint is excellent , especially when air down to 15 psi for sand , crawling or rock work, and I run at 42-44 psi for the bitumen for the best wear based on my alignment, with minimal wall roll.

As for comparisons use this handy tool https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Cheers
    Thanks, In Qld we are allowed +50mm. Currently have 265/75 R16 which is 31.6". Can go to 295/75/16 (33.4") legally without changing rim size. Can go 305/70 R17 (33.8") but need new rims. For both then need to deal with speedo calibration.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some other things I would like to know -

What is a drop box and what does it do.

What benefit do reduction gears offer?

Does getting a bigger scoop help EGT's?

Any experience with cheaper but TIG welded intercoolers (around $260 on ebay)

Is it worth fitting a kill switch or some type of anti-theft

What EGT should I stay below

Any good small interior mods that makes the Patrol better. Like bigger cup holders.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Drop boxes are extensions affixed to the chassis that allow you to get a greater than a 2" lift but retain close to original geometry. A 2" lift is done using taller and or lengthened suspension components and specialized bushes. Unless you are going to turn your Patrol into a weekend warrior, combined with 33" tyres a 2" lift should suffice.

Definitely fit some kind of anti theft device. Some go as far as fitting trackers. It will not stop a pro, but should deter a joy rider.

I am contemplating getting a set of reduction gears, as my gearbox has a very tall first gear compared to the gearbox used by the TB, TD and ZD engines. Again it will be a mod to consider to suit your expected driving style and conditions. For me, a front locker is going to be fitted before shelling out for reduction gears.

Some members have done the mod and should be able to give you more info.

Any extra storage space in the cab would be useful. Some owners fit an overhead console too.
    Last edited by mudnut; 24th March 2021 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mud has covered off pretty well there, and plus one for the front locker from here as well.

Truckus has the red gear on LR transfer case and with the 5 speed manual on 35s in L1 basically if its idling along, I can walk faster after 50 beers (and that aint fast), throttle control with a manual is rather touchy (but guys with autos love them). but with throttle discipline and flex, and lockers, very handy for crawling over rock steps, just remember with front locker on, steering is less than ideal, so often you need to disengage front locker when needing to change lines, and then reactivate, so an e locker or air locker are the go there.

L2 with red gears is awesome for steep decent control engine breaking as well, as L1 tends to over rev in my set up.
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If going offroad on some tougher tracks but staying within 200km of Brisbane what would you consider to be must have spares? Are there anything that are common failures points for Patrols that can stop you getting home. Are things like spare CV's necessary or can you make do until you get home.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast