Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2004 3.0L Patrol Diesel not priming

Hi

I notice recently that after leaving the car parked overnight, my patrol has begun to take 15 seconds or more to crank before it splutters to life with a good amount of white smoke (probably more that normal - but its been smoky for years)

Can someone help confirm that when I engage the ignition switch, there should be a priming sound occurring which is the pressurising of diesel to the 3.0L direct injection engine?
    I hear no noise at all, whilst the glow plugs heat up, except for a couple of relay clicks (I assume from the ignition relay) when the engine is cold

I have taken a look at the Engine Control System diagrams (sm93-y61cg3) and I am lead to believe that the ZD30DDTi does not have a Fuel Pump relay (above the cabin fuse box) like other engines, which I suspect it its name in the manual. So I assume this task is assigned to the Injection Pump instead. I also on page 31 (engine in this is instead labelled TD in the manual) that that the Injection Pump has a Solenoid Timer and a Fuel Cut Solenoid Value.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks
    Markus

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You just might be getting air in the fuel line somewhere by the sound of it. Check all clamps are tight and no split hoses. When was the fuel filter last changed?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I will check this out over the weekend. I am however pretty confident it was priming before, so I want to understand if I have two problems to resolve

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    To be honest I don't think they prime at all. A separate lift pump would be needed for this to happen and thy don't have one. My Di never used to make any priming sound noises pre start....

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a quick look at the fuel lines and could not see any obvious leaks but noticed than when using the manual primer pump, it would take 4 pumps to firm up and then would loose pressure after about 5 seconds. I repeated this exercise three times and the the pressure held. After an hour I tried the pump again and noticed it was slightly soft But it firmed up after a single pump

I then cranked the engine which had not been started in 24 hrs and after about 9 seconds it spluttered to life without the large white clouds I Normally see, so I will set about identifying the source of the air leak

Prior to this the car would generally start within 5 seconds, since I had the glow plugs replace about a year or more back
    So I am still puzzled as what might cause it to no longer prime as I am pretty certain it use to when I turned on the ignition to wait for the glow plugs to heat

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The feel in the primer pump is normal. Its possible the filter head is leaking fuel back toward the tank, or sucking in air from the primer. Best way to resolve this is to by pass the filter assembly. Just put in a Ryco inline fuel filter, Z15 I think you need, depending on barb size. Once fitted start the engine and get the fuel filter full. then leave it overnight as reassess.