Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

yet another new car.

Evening all guys,

if some of you arent aware, i have been through a fair few vehicles since the patrol, needless to say im pretty bloody over cars.

i currently own a 2013 navara d40 titanium, but i reckon there is something serious on its out on it. possibly the injectors or turbo.

before that i had a holden adventra v8 with the intentions of using the motor for my patrol which i owned prior to that.

the injector pump failed on the patrol, after fully rebuilding the motor in 2013 and spending over 14k on the rebuild. this included new turbo, injector pump and head.

i have made a recent decision to bite the bullet and purchase a brand spanking new car, which has warranty.

i have owned my current car for just over 12 months, have clocked up around 70k on it, yes i do a fair amount of driving.

looking at the current cars available on the market that are utes most offer a 3-5 year limited kms warranty, i know the dmax offers a 6 year 150000 warranty but i would honestly chew through the kms on it in a couple of years..

currently im not sold but am actually considering the ssanyong musso purely based on the warranty available on it. took one for a test drive today and have to say it is a very very nice car to drive. they offer a 7 year unlimited kms warranty.

has anyone heard about these cars? i know they were around in the 90s when i was a kid, but disappeared for a while from the aussie market... oh and their cars were ugly as fck.

the model im interested in also ticks ALOT of boxes for me. im looking at the xlv variant, which ontop of being a dual cab has a 1600mm long tub and they are fairly wide so 3 adults on the back seat isnt a squeeze for width or leg room. that really is huge for me.

the price range for them is between 33k and 42k model dependent so i reckon they are a bargain but the warranty is really where my interest lies.

realistically im looking for some sage advice whether or not im crazy considering a smaller manufacturer like ssangyong or should i stick with the more tried and tested brands as i have done so in the past with second hand models and have just constantly been inheriting other peoples problems over and over.

looking for2ward to hearing other peoples thoughts

cheers

rusty.
    Last edited by rusty_nail; 13th March 2021 at 10:24 PM.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nic,
    You certainly have had a shit run with cars, that’s for sure.
    Never driven one but reviews seem pretty good https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...ng-term-review
    I’ve also seen a few good reviews from happy campers on the caravaners forums.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (13th March 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    Hi Nic,
    You certainly have had a shit run with cars, that’s for sure.
    Never driven one but reviews seem pretty good https://www.whichcar.com.au/reviews/...ng-term-review
    I’ve also seen a few good reviews from happy campers on the caravaners forums.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
    thanks jack, i hope you and elsie are well mate.

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

jack (14th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mazda offer a 5 year unlimited km warranty on their bt50 which is exactly the same car as the dmax just re skinned....

Ssangyong aren't to bad. Seem to get a good rep and seem reasonably reliable. One plus on sticking with the big names is plenty of locations to use you warranty if required. Not sure the ssangyong has quite the same network as the jap guys.
    Last edited by nissannewby; 13th March 2021 at 11:15 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Mazda offer a 5 year unlimited km warranty on their bt50 which is exactly the same car as the dmax just re skinned....

Ssangyong aren't to bad. Seem to get a good rep and seem reasonably reliable. One plus on sticking with the big names is plenty of locations to use you warranty if required. Not sure the ssangyong has quite the same network as the jap guys.
    Thanks mate, exactly the things I hadn't considered and needed that extra opinion. The dealer network is fairly small, however they do offer 7 years roadside assistance too and I'm likely to finance with racv which I also have roadside assistance with. between those two I should be able to tow to a dealer.

I take a closer look at the bt50 I thought it was the same as the Ranger or are they copying someone else now lol

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also to add that the dmax drivetrain is basically untouched as it is one of its strong points. It is probably the most reliable one amongst all the newer utes.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (16th March 2021), rusty_nail (13th March 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Thanks mate, exactly the things I hadn't considered and needed that extra opinion. The dealer network is fairly small, however they do offer 7 years roadside assistance too and I'm likely to finance with racv which I also have roadside assistance with. between those two I should be able to tow to a dealer.

I take a closer look at the bt50 I thought it was the same as the Ranger or are they copying someone else now lol

It was the same as the ranger but the new 2021 bt50 is all dmax now. Just the outside is has a different design.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Consider the rim sizes offered, if you intend to go offroad. No good having 20" rims and bugger all rubber when lowering tire pressures.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (14th March 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    Consider the rim sizes offered, if you intend to go offroad. No good having 20" rims and bugger all rubber when lowering tire pressures.
    Actually meant to ask about changing the tyres, and how that will interact with the tpms. I believe I can fit 16"rim on it though the tpms may be an issue

Thanks
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most tpms can be moved onto other wheels. Some systems which have the sensors in the valve stems may need the valve hole enlarged to work but is easy enough to do.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (14th March 2021)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast