OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Fix Scratched Mirror Frame Properly?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Fix Scratched Mirror Frame Properly?

A few months ago the mirror accidentally hit a post in underground car park, so it caused very minor scratch to the frame.

We bought the Scratch Fix All-in-1
    https://www.duplicolor.com/product/s...ouch-up-paint/

and attempted to fix based on the video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB_v8nAXhlE

but after painting by the brush, it looks a bit rough (not applied coat yet), please see the image.
    Capture (1).JPG

Can you please advise what will be the next step to fix it properly? We wish it could restore to the original state.

Should I sand the rough painted surface firstly then apply coat? (I bought 1200 grit sandpaper)

Or start coat on top of this surface and then sand?

Many thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi there, that is bad luck.. I would maybe get some finer sand paper too, wet and Dry. rub that but use a sanding block with your paper, sand down to maybe 2000grit if you can then paint again. that should give you a flatter surface finish. Be gentle. it is a small edge. you dont want this to become a Much Bigger Job than it is.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting Video, always looks easier than it is. Yes sand block for sure then use the little brush applicator and let it set if you can then the clear coat. Good luck.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd March 2021)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi there, that is bad luck.. I would maybe get some finer sand paper too, wet and Dry. rub that but use a sanding block with your paper, sand down to maybe 2000grit if you can then paint again. that should give you a flatter surface finish. Be gentle. it is a small edge. you dont want this to become a Much Bigger Job than it is.

Thanks for advise.

I have done the following steps this morning:

1. sand it to as smooth as I can feel

2. mask the area properly and used gloss black paint sprayer, 4 coats as advised on the product

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Now it looks smooth, but seems not exact the same texture, nor as polished as the original paint, please see

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 1.48.44 pm.png

Can you please advise any chance to make the area I reprinted as much as the same texture as the original colour ?

If so, what will be the next step?

wait for one day to dry and add clear coat?
    wait for one day to dry and sand it finely?
    wait for one day to dry and polish it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah ok. Looks like a Saturn finch rather than Gloss. Wait a day ans lightly rub then clear coat Gloss

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your advise.

I did wait for a day and also referred

https://itstillruns.com/make-cars-du...e-5629459.html

to perform wet sanding using 2000 grit (also for removing the tape line as seen)

however now it looks like

IMG20210307190513_censored.jpg

it's smooth but seems like colour coat being wiped off as well?

What's the next step?

perform polishing compound will restore the gloss black?
    or
    add clear coat?
    I try to avoid painting the whole frame, end goal is blending well with the original trim colour.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yoy will struggle to regain the gloss now without rubbing through the colour which would be a disaster. As long as you have not already rubbed through the colour got straight to gloss clear coat top coat mate.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks buddy!

Today I applied polishing compound and it looks better.

Before
    IMG20210308123330.jpg

After
    IMG20210308165749_censored.jpg

Actually I am fine with the finish like this.

However I am thinking if can even have better finish.

I miss the step of adding clear coat.

If I do:

add clear coat - > sand finely - > polishing compound
    or

paint gloss black again - > add clear coat - > sand finely - > polishing compound
    will it achieve a better finish?

If so, 1 or 2?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you are using a Gloss Black you could maybe get away without clear coat. And you should have a good foundation now for a nice gloss Black topcoat. Note though, because yoy have now polished it you will need to wet rub then use a wax and grease remover to prep the area again as the polish is a contaminant.

Rub back to etch,
    Clean with a prepsol wax and grease remover,
    Mask up the area,
    Spray a couple of coats of Gloss Black 10 minutes apart.
    Let dry.
    You should Not have to rub back or polished again. Tye next couple of coats should give you your final finish straight off the can.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate.

I understand you suggested to have it repainted.

My concerns are:
    1. Wet rub here means wet sanding, right?

2. After using masing tape then painting, there will be tape lines, how to overcome this to have it blended with with other areas? I used to San the line but it seems wipe off the colour as well, was it caused by not adding clear coat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast