OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under bonnet Deep Cycle battery??

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 764 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under bonnet Deep Cycle battery??

Ok, I'm looking for a deep cycle battery that is happy to be installed under the bonnet.

Any recommendations???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have run Optima under the bonnet for 10+ years. first set i got 7 years out of. i then went GEL batteries and killed 2 sets in a year all replaced under warranty. Finally i went back to Optima at no extra charge from my Battery guy as a warranty swap. Never looked back.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

10G (26th February 2021), MB (27th February 2021)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 764 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What model & colour Daz???

Thanks
    Thanked 13,494 Times in 6,598 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a pair of D31a under the bonnet. I run a single D34 in the GQ and a pair of Red Top R34 in the back of the GQ running 24v
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

10G (28th February 2021), MB (27th February 2021), Rossco (26th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just picked up a couple of D27F yellow tops pretty much the standard 300mm x 180 ish and fit in GQ no probs. . 830 CCA and 66AH. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

10G (28th February 2021), MB (27th February 2021)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love the Optima's but the only drama is the lack of available Amp Hours if you want a dedicated 'deep cycle'.

I ended up with a compromise for my second 'house' battery under the bonnet which is a calcium and had 97Ahrs from memory. It wasn't anything flash and my main house battery is still the same 120Ahr Full River AGM that lives under the canopy away from the heat of the engine bay.

When I win the lotto I might fork out for a single Lithium behind the back seat and ditch the weight of two batteries, but that might be a while off...
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

10G (28th February 2021), MB (27th February 2021), Rossco (26th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah was seriously toying with the idea of going lithium but weighed it up for needs of running accesories vs winching and usually short term camp setups. . Yeah same probably go that way one day lol. . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

10G (28th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure that Lithium isn’t suitable for winching. The load is too much for the bms

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

MB (27th February 2021), Rossco (27th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Optima D27’s Yellow pairs (800 CCA - 66 AH) have never let me down under bonnet with hotter running GU TD42’s & a 6.5 Chev stinker for shorter stays and winching.
    Extremely fast charge recovery and half the amount of internal connections to the spiral 6 pot design versus standard 12 plate battery designs.
    I think some Odyssey batteries might have epoxy filled tops or bottoms to vibration protect the standard plate connections which would be good too I imagine.
    Just managed to barely squeeze an Optima D31 Yellow (900 CCA - 75 AH) into the GQ ute which is getting connected to a DC/DC thingy and off to a Kickass (AGM 170 AH) on the tray headboard with solar above, fingers crossed
    Must say the extra 100 CCA of the D31 gets the starter motor cranking off its head, looking forward to winch tests on build completion soon hopefully

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

10G (28th February 2021), MudRunnerTD (28th February 2021), Rossco (27th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under bonnet Deep Cycle battery??

I have a stand alone solar set up in the back of the ute and I recently put a D31 in there to run the fridge.
    Now my reasoning is this for my choice of weapon.
    As some may know I work with batteries and have all the lollies in the world to choose from but the Optima ticked all the box’s except for ah capacity but like MB said they have extremely low internal resistance which allows super fast recharging and if needed I can start off it or run high amp accessories like compressors etc.
    I did have a big solar panel and a 110 ah Agm which worked flawlessly but I decided to go down to a 115watt Victron panel and to make sure it’s matched to the appropriate size battery I figured the D31 was best for my situation and this is the key to everyone’s decisions, choose batteries etc that suit your needs, not just what you’ve heard all of us say.
    I was given a brand new Lithium 110 ah from the boss last night to test out.
    Now Lithium is also a great concept but not for everyone as they have a built in battery management system.
    Depending on the grade of the cells and BMS, some can only handle a small load and others up to 110 amps.
    Cheap ones have low rated BMS, put an inverter on them and they are useless.
    Do your homework
    With lithium, check the C rating.
    .3 C = 30 amps
    .5C = 50 amps
    1C = 100 amps and so on
    Anyway my fingers are numb now from all the typing on my phone.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

10G (28th February 2021), MB (27th February 2021), MudRunnerTD (28th February 2021), Rossco (27th February 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast